+ Reply to Thread

Quicken file recovery

This is a discussion on Quicken file recovery within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I used RecoverMyFiles 3.4 to recover files from an external 80GB USB drive that was formatted and partitioned during the ...

jg70124 is offline Junior Member

Default Quicken file recovery

I used RecoverMyFiles 3.4 to recover files from an external 80GB USB drive that was formatted and partitioned during the installation of Windows on an internal drive. (The OEM Recovery CDs did not ask which drive to work on, so I stupidly assumed they were working on the internal drive, also 80GB).

I tried both "Format Recover" and "Complete Search", each of which took about 24 hours.

The software successfully recovered 85 copies of my Quicken .qdf file (many duplicates because I save to multiple locations, and old deleted copies, I guess).

However, Quicken also needs (and saves) files with extensions .idx, .qel, and .qph. (Without those additional files, the data is subject to significant corruption).

The software did not find any of those files - is there any way to make it look for them?

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Quicken Recovery

A Format Recovery should find all file types on the disk (unless the partition records for specific files have been destroyed).

Please try the 3.50 beta version, as we have imporoved the format recovery process. First try a "Fast Format Recover" (10 minutes) and then the Complete Format Recover Option:

http://download.getdata.com/3-50beta/recovermyfiles.exe

At the end of a search, please go back to "File View" and in the top left hand window click on "search results". This will show all files on found in the right hand window, click on the column heading in the right hand window to sort by "Type". See if you can then find the files that you need.

If you cannot find them, we will need to add specific support for these file types.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

jg70124 is offline Junior Member

I did what you suggested.

For Fast Format Recover, I selected the physical drive (rather than the two logical drives which had been created during the accidental formatting). It took 45 minutes, and found only files and folders that are actually on the drive now and not deleted.

I then tried Fast Format Recover on each of the two logical drives - same results (only files actually there on the partitions, not deleted).

I then tried the Complete Format Recover, which took around 18 hours. It only found files whose extensions matched those in the dialog box that comes up saying "select 5 types" - that is, if I didn't explicitly select the file type, it was not found.

+ Reply to Thread