+ Reply to Thread

Windows XP Repair Deleted My Documents!

This is a discussion on Windows XP Repair Deleted My Documents! within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi, I just ran a Windows XP 'Repair Installation' because I was having trouble booting. I was told that it ...

demolition is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Windows XP Repair Deleted My Documents!

Hi, I just ran a Windows XP 'Repair Installation' because I was having trouble booting. I was told that it would leave data files alone, however, after the repair was done i came to the shocking realization that it wiped out my entire DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS account folder! OMG, I am still in shock and feel like crying. I had critically important files in the DESKTOP and MY DOCUMENTS folders.

What are the chances that my files can be recovered with your tool?? Windows created another DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS account folder of the same previous name. However, would it write it to the exact physical location as the previous one? Which tool version should i try? I see you have two.

Please help!

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

It is not possible to say whether your deleted files are still there or whether they were overwritten by the new installation of Windows. You need to download Recover My Files and give it a try. If you can find and preview the files that you lost then they can be recovered.

You can try a couple of different methods. I suggest you try the new beta version, 3.50. I would first run a "Complete File Search" just for one or two specific lost file types (like .doc and .jpeg).

Follow this, try a "Complete Format Recover" and search using the default selected file types.

Please let us know how you go.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

I dont want to install the program in the computer I am trying to recover from to avoid any further overwrites. Is it possible to boot the system, connect it to a network, share the C: drive, and then have the program scan it from another computer on the network?

Thanks.

admin is offline Administrator

Hi,

Just a thought, if you did a XP repair it may have created you a new account profile. It would look like windows had deleted your data. However it only created a new User Profile. This means it sets up new links for the new profile to My docs and so on.

Check under C:\Documents and Settings for your old account/ profile name. It may have . in front of it. If you do look at

C:\Documents and Settings\.[Your Profile Name]\Desktop

See if your past desktop items are there. If so do a search for a document that you know the name of.

Peter

GDH

Default Running from another computer

Recover My Files needs disk access to run, so it needs to be run on the computer on which the deletion happened. So you cannot share the C: drive and scan the C: drive on another computer.

However, what you can do is install the program on another computer, then go to the problem computer and map the installation folder on the other computer to your problem computer. Then you can run Recover My Files on the problem computer from the mapped drive.

Please keep in mind that if you are doing this on a Win 98 box it may require you to reboot the computer a number of times. In terms of overwriting deleted data rebooting the computer can be worse that actually installing the software as the operating system changes the conent of to the drive when it starts up and shuts down.

You may be better off running Recover My Files directly from CD (which you created using another computer).
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Unhappy

Ok, good news!

...and bad news.

I ran a "Complete File Search" using the 3.50 beta and it has found a lot of my files in "very good" condition. I simply burned the single file onto a CD and ran it. However, I kept getting an application error before the search completed. So I decided to copy the single file to the HD and try again. Same problem, it crashed also. This is very frustration! Im on an XP with plenty of memory. Here are a couple of lines from the bug report:

exception class: EAccessViolation
    Exception message: Acess violation at address 004422EB in module 'recovermyfiles.exe'. Write of address 00258740.

I wanted to try the 3.4 version but it appears the file is an installation which would require a lot of HD activity, which I'm not comfortable with. And I dont see how I can install the program onto a CD.

So please advise on how I can proceed!

GDH

Default V3-50 Beta

Please send the full error report from v3-50 to us. Once we have the full error report we can fix the problem quickly.
    Last edited by GDH; 03-30-2007 at 01:01 PM.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

GDH

Default Windows XP deleted My Documents

Version 3.54 is now out and will recovery your files. You can download it from www.recovermyfiles.com.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

blahblahblah is offline Junior Member

Default This just happened to me (I thought)

I found that during Windows repair my "My Documents" folder had been copied to: "C:\Program Files\Owner". Maybe the same thing happened to you?

+ Reply to Thread