+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

100 Gb wiped out with a click

This is a discussion on 100 Gb wiped out with a click within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I've had a weird problem with a data hard drive. This drive is new and i had stored on it ...

frank4 is offline Junior Member

Default 100 Gb wiped out with a click

I've had a weird problem with a data hard drive.
    This drive is new and i had stored on it 100 Go of data;it's total capacity is 250 Go.No additionnal data was stored apart from the 100 Go.

Yesterday i connected it to my pc in the usb 2.0 case and it didn't show as usual on the "my computer" windows.
    Being somehow accustomed to these windows XP hiccups, i opened the administrative tools- computer management- disk management, and immediately a dialogue poped out asking me to initialise the drive that wasn't appearing even in the disk management interface.
    Helas, i accepted to initialise the disk, but even then a red triangle was assigned to it.
    When i came back to the "my computer" interface, the new drive had appeared but no info about his size was present.When i clicked on it, a dialogue poped out telling me this drive needed to be formatted, which i refused.
    I tried to run R-studio on it;there again, it refused to scan the drive.

I used the disk management feature to create a new partition ( the whole size of the disk) on it, refused to format it when the dialogue appeared, and tried to access it with R-studio again.
    This time it informed me that no file system was present ( i think) but that it could scan the drive for fat,nfts,etc....
    It took 1 hour to scan, but it found out the whole structure of the data stored along with its correct size, and i chose to recover all of it on a new separate drive, which took 8 hours !!.

Helas, when i checked the recovered data, about 99% was corrupted and useless.I tried to open a video file with windows media player, and i got a message telling me the program had encountered wrong info and it needed to be reinstalled. All R-studio did was to recover the files names and structure, but not the data itself.

Is there a way out of this or shall i throw myself under a train ?
    Last edited by frank4; 02-06-2007 at 01:20 PM.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Frank

Stay away from trains!

Please try the following:

1. Download Recover My Files from http://download.getdata.com/RecoverMyFiles-Setup.exe

2. Run the program and select "Complete File Search". Click Next.

3. In the drive selection window, look for the "phyical" drive that is the same size as your problem hard drive. Put a tick next to it to select this drive. Click NEXT.

4. In the file type selection list, select some file types that you know are on the disk - the best ones would be .doc, .xls, .bmp, .gif, .ppt, .avi, .zip

5. Run this search. Let it run for about 30 minutes - whilst the search is in progress, move the progress window out of the way and click on the files found - you can preview them whilst the search is in progress.

This search is basically a test to see if your files are recoverable on the disk. This search will find files by their header and footer - so the files found will not have their original names but will be called "Recovered_JPEG_X". However you will be able to preview them in the preview window.

Please let me know the results of this search and if they are positive I will give you some further advise to run a search which will get the full file name and folder structure back.

Cheers.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

It works: it found files straight away, and they can be previewed.

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Ok - that's good news.

The situation you now have is this......

Your files are all on the drive and they can be recovered.

However....

The challenge is to get them back with full file name and folder structure.

The way a hard drive works is that there is a table at the start of the disk called the Master File Table (MFT) - I presume this drive is NTFS and not FAT?

The MFT has a record for every file on your PC. This record includes the name of the file, the folder, and the storage clusters used by that file on the disk.

We need to try and see if we can read the MFT records in order to reconstruct the drive. However it may be that the problems you have had with the drive and the subsequent actions have destroyed the MFT - but lets wait and see.

The first thing to do is to go to the main screen of RMF and click on the OPTIONS button and in GENERAL turn the event logging to DEBUG.

The first thing you need to try with Recover My Files is a "Fast Format Recover". Search the physical drive. This search should take less than 30 minutes - look in "Folder View" of the results screen for your files and let me know the results. I would also be interested to see the event log which is located at the bottom of the results screen near the preview window.

Thank you.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Quote Originally Posted by GDH

The first thing to do is to go to the main screen of RMF and click on the OPTIONS button and in GENERAL turn the event logging to DEBUG.

The first thing you need to try with Recover My Files is a "Fast Format Recover". Search the physical drive. This search should take less than 30 minutes - look in "Folder View" of the results screen for your files and let me know the results. I would also be interested to see the event log which is located at the bottom of the results screen near the preview window.

Thank you.
    Yes, it's NFTS.
    I will try the "Fast Format Recover" , i hope it doesn't write anything on the disk.
    Does windows still write anything on the disk even though it says it isn't formatted ?

EventLog
    Searching for deleted files on drive F:\
    All searches completed.
    A total of 0 file(s) were located.
    Time Elapsed: 0,000516666666666667 (mins)

nothing hapened

GDH

Default Data Recovery

OK - I expected that.

Now try running a "Complete Format Recover" on the "physical" drive and search ONLY for the default selected file types - .doc, .xls., .ppt, .jpge (all types), .bmp, .avi, .zip, .pdf.

Let this one continue to run. After 30 minutes tell me what it says in the progress window...

Files Found = ???
    O/S Items Found (MFT records) = ???
    How far is the progress bar ???

Thanks
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

It's working.
    I have to mention there were two physical drives listed besides the RAW drive f : 0 physical and 1 physical ; i checked the 0 , tried to check the 1 but it wouldn't let me.
    I will post the results in half an hour.

Can you tell me if windows keeps writting stuff on this supposedly unformatted drive ?

GDH

Default Data Recovery

If you have two physical drives listed it means you have two physical drives connected to your PC.

I presume you have your Operating System booting hard drive, which will be physical drive 0, and then you have the problem booting drive which will be physical drive 1. Was there a size listed next to physical drive 1? What do you mean the you could not select it?

I'm not currently sure which drive you are searching? If you are searching 0 then you may well be searching your Operating System drive? It may be best to run this search on the RAW drive.

If the problem drive is your secondary drive and cannot be seen by Windows, then you safe in that Windows should not be able to write any new data to it.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Both drives were the same size, and i was searching the good one, lol
    I have restarted RMF, and selected the right drive, will post the results

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast