+ Reply to Thread

Will not recover AVI files

This is a discussion on Will not recover AVI files within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I accidentally formatted my external Western Digital My Book 250gb (~150gb used) hdd. However it was a 'quick format' so ...

Roflcopter_Down is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Will not recover AVI files

I accidentally formatted my external Western Digital My Book 250gb (~150gb used) hdd. However it was a 'quick format' so I started searching for a program until I found this one. I seemed nice, I did a 26 hour "Complete File Search" and it came up with ~60,000 files (over 50,000 of them were giberish .txt files consisting of ...) but none of them were my 100gb of AVI and other video files. I did it again with the "Complete Format" function and found even less items. If it was able to recover most of the avi files I wouldn't mind purchasing this program.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

It may be that when you formatted that your old file system got badly screwed around.

Can you please confirm that you are using the latest version, 3.98 (5282) - click on HELP > ABOUT to find this.

When you ran a Complete Format Recover, did you search for the default selected file types only?

Please try this and let me know the results:

1. Start Recover My Files and click on Manually Select Options
    2. In the SEARCH tab take the tick out of "search for deleted files". Put a tick in "search for lost files" - take the tick out of "try and determin file size of lost files" and set the default size to 100mb (or the size of your larges AVI).
    4. Click OK and then select the "phycial drive" (the one that is the same size as your problem drive. Click NEXT.
    5. In the file type selection list put a tick in the box next to .avi. Star the search and let me know the results.

Thank you.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Roflcopter_Down is offline Junior Member

First off, I'm using 3.98 (5282).

Second, the first time I scanned I enabled all file types and the second time I scanned I only enabled the file types that I had on my hard drive.

I'm going to rescan with "search for deleted files" and "try and determine file size of lost files" disabled and set the default file size to 675mb. I'll post the results when it's finished.

Thanks for the timely response!

+ Reply to Thread