+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Directory structure & file names

This is a discussion on Directory structure & file names within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I downloaded the trial version of the software and ran the full search. It found a lot of files but ...

frosencrose is offline Junior Member

Default Directory structure & file names

I downloaded the trial version of the software and ran the full search. It found a lot of files but none of them had file names and the directory structure was just LostFiles. Is there a setting I missed or something that will get the file names and directory structure back?

The problem with my harddrive is it says that the drive is no longer formatted. That error happened due to a hard reset.

Any suggestions?
    Thx,
    Connie

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

First try a "Fast Format Recover". If you cant see the drive letter, select and search the physical drive. Look in Folder View of the results screen for your files.

If this does not work, try a Complete Format Recover - search ONLY for the default selected file types. At the end of the search the file system will rebuild. Look in Folder View of the resutls screen for the full file and folder structure.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

I tried the fast format recovery and it didn't find anything. So I started the complete format recovery search and it's still running after 13hours on a 500Gig hard drive. Is that normal? It's found over 11,000 files so far and it looks like it's only half way done.

-Connie

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Part of the Complete Format Recover Search is a scan over the entire drive. With a 500 GB drive, its going to take some time!

A couple of questions.....

In the progress window, what does it now say next to "Files Found"?

In the progress window, what does it say next to "OS Items Found"?

How full was the disk?

Is Recover My Files still finding files? or has that number not changed for a while?

Thanks
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

The drive wasn't that full. I think maybe 150Gig.

Right now it says:
    Files found: 11588
    OS items found: 77022

Those numbers haven't seemed to move in quite some time. Also the files found are still the recovered_jpeg naming convention and there's nothing in the folder view. That being the case are the file names gone for good? I was wondering if it would do something at the end of the search to magically show me the file names or at least the directory structure.

It's going on 18 hours now and it's at 637100000 of 976773168. It's still moving along. But I fear my file names and directory structure are gone for good.

-Connie

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Hi Connie,

If the numbers havent changed for a while it means that RMF has now entered the blank area of the drive.

From the results that you describe you should get all your files back with full file and folder names.

You can now STOP the search. Just click the STOP button once.

You will see a message that tells you that "Analysis of the current format/partition information will still continue after you stop this search". Click YES and then RMF will rebuild the file and folder structure. Once it has finished, look in Folder View for your files. Click on the files here to preview their content in the preview window at the bottom of the results screen.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Ok, I stopped the progress and it did build some of the file structure. It shows [DIR#########] and then some random files are under it. It's a bit hard to understand exactly where all my files are. Should it show the real folder name under the folder view on the top level? Also the folders show a red x on them. Not sure what that means.

Oh, I just scrolled down to the very bottom and found actual real directory names. Shew. Those are the ones that I need. From here, do I need to purchase the software before I can save these files? I need to buy a new hard drive to put it on first, but then I'll need to copy these files down to it. Can I save this search and shut down until I get a drive to copy it all to? Or do I have to do the search all over again when I'm actually ready to restore it?

Thx,
    Connie

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Hi Connie,

Some folder names have been destroyed which is why you see names like "DIRXXXX". Even though the folder does not have its real name, files inside it should still have full file and folder structure.

The folders with a Red X on them means that they were folders that you previously deleted (i.e. ones that you deleted normally prior to your big catastrophe).

Yes, you need to purchase an activation key before you can save your files. I presume you have click on them and can preview their content so you are now sure they can be recovered? Once you purchase the activation key, just enter it into the program and then you can save files - you dont have to run the search again.

It is not currently possible to save search results - if you close down the search now you will have to re-run the search again. If you decide to do this then make sure you (or Windows) does not start writing data to this drive before the next search otherwise the results will change.

With data recovery I usually tell people that once they have found their files - save the important ones as FAST as you can. Then you can breath a sigh of relief and take your time after that.

You may consider buying an external USB drive as then you can leave the current search open and just plug the new drive in and save files. You also have the option of saving files directly to CD or DVD, so it might be a good idea to save the improtant ones now.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

I didn't realize you could preview the content. How do I do that? I double click on the file and nothing happens. The file size looks good and the names look good, just not sure how to preview them.

I will get the activation key later today and start saving to a DVD. That's a good idea.

Thx,
    Connie

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Just click once on the file name in the top window. It should either show you the image, or give you an information message. It should look like this:

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/img/sc...rmyfiles-4.png
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast