+ Reply to Thread

My RAW hard disk was saved!

This is a discussion on My RAW hard disk was saved! within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I just want to let anyone else who has a Maxtor (or maybe another brand) external hard disk that suddenly ...

samdogmom is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up My RAW hard disk was saved!

I just want to let anyone else who has a Maxtor (or maybe another brand) external hard disk that suddenly stops responding and shows up RAW in the device manager--this program will save your files!!!! (Recover My Files from http://www.recovermyfiles.com). I had over 200 gb of mp3 files on my hard disk. A month ago it failed and I thought it had to be something I did, so I reformatted it and reloaded all of my music. This took over 100 hours and I was not happy.

Well a few days ago it happened again! This time I was a little smarter. I called Maxtor and they agreed that the hard disk is bad. They're replacing it. In the meantime, I was faced with another 100 hours of replacing my music files, or was I? This time I did a little internet research and google brought me to your site.

To make a long story short, I downloaded your software, ran the fast format recover option and within 30 minutes I had a list of my mp3 files. It took awhile to save all of these files--I had to find room on other hard disks and the few that were corrupted froze the save function. Eventually, I had everything off of the bad hard disk and I just finished verifying the accuracy of these files.

Believe it or not there were just three albums that I have to re-rip! You are heros as far as I'm concerned. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. (Oh, and I also just bought a Seagate hard drive--I'm going to put this music on the Seagate and use the replacement Maxtor as a backup.)
    Last edited by GDH; 09-04-2007 at 04:34 PM.

panzer948 is offline Junior Member

I hope your seagate works better than mine, as I just downloaded the trial to get mine recovered. Maybe I should buy a new Maxtor and use my Seagate as the backup, LOL

samdogmom is offline Junior Member

Default My Seagate is an internal drive with a 5 year warranty!

I know what you mean, Seagate externals haven't been reliable either. But, I bought a 300 gb. SATA internal drive and I'm using that for my music now. I did put all the files on the replacement Maxtor (as a backup). The sad thing is I never turn this hard drive on--I guess I'm a little afraid it's going to fail again. I do have another external Maxtor that I use as backup for my other computer tasks--word processing, photos, etc. This one is a few months older than the one that went bad and it has never caused a problem. As an interesting side note, Maxtor told me their drives are less prone to failure if you use Firewire to connect them to your computer. Apparently, Windows XP does a lot of I/O things with USB 2 peripherals--so they're more likely to suffer a hang and fail. My older drive is connected via firewire and the newer one was connected via USB 2. The newer one failed twice in two months. The older one has never had a problem. If anyone out there has the option of Firewire vs USB 2 for external hard drives you may want to consider Firewire as your first choice.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Raw hard drive recovery

There is now a video on this web page which shows how to recover a RAW hard drive: Hard Drive Data Recovery: Data Recovery Videos
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

sassy_angel is offline Junior Member

Hey ****! I have a corrupted Transcend StoreJet 500gb external HDD. The files here are mostly my brothers' which contain of pictures, ******, mp3s, documents...I assumed the files were overwritten because my nephew pressed the back up button (which is very accessible btw, just on the body of the device). The storage left before he pressed that button was around 20gb. So I figured maybe after he pressed the button it overwritten my files hence the Raw data output. Every time i connect my external hdd to my laptop, 'My Computer' freezes each time I try to open it to access the drive and the name Transcend (as its default driver name) is changed to Local drive.

I've already went over Computer => Manage => Disk management. The status of the driver is healthy, the Capacity and Free space has the same digits, and the %Free is 100% (which makes it odd). I marked the partition as active (there was another thread I followed which said to do so, that's why I did..but didn't finished because it ask me to format my drive which I'm reluctant to do so that's why I'm hanging in here.)

Do I need to backup this corrupted drive that has Raw data in it? Because I don't have another spare of spacious drive. Do I need to format the drive to save the files? or Is there a way to save the files first and then format it later? What do I do?

PLS HELLLPPPP...sooo desperate here.

P.S. Originally, the data is not in RAW form (or somethin), it just became a RAW file after overwriting.
    Last edited by sassy_angel; 11-07-2012 at 08:25 PM.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

The best thing to do would be to come to click on live support button above to start a chat. We can then work through the recovery together.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread