+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help needed: Recovering session file of Opera (maybe lost)..

This is a discussion on Help needed: Recovering session file of Opera (maybe lost).. within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi there, how can I recover the session file of Opera 9.2..? I did a fast recover and complete recover ...

PSchuetz is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Help needed: Recovering session file of Opera (maybe lost)..

Hi there,

how can I recover the session file of Opera 9.2..?

I did a fast recover and complete recover search and then search for *.win files with the filter..

But I found nothing

Can RMF find and recover this type of file?

best regards,

PSchuetz

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Do you have a sample file that you can send?
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Arrow No file

Hi there,

no unfortunately I don't have a sample file currently.

But you can simply download the Opera webbrowser 9.2 from www.opera.com, install it, start it and you will find an autosave.win file or such/similar, I search for *.win because I don't know the exact filename..

Is it possible to search for this pattern with RMF?

best regards,

PSchuetz

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Please create some sample files and send them to us.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Unhappy Ok, I have now sample files

Hi there,

ok, now I have three sample files, but I don't understand why you just can't download the Opera webbrowser software from www.opera.com and then use the *.win session files from there..?!?

I don't understand why the users/customers have to do such kind of things, that is not a good company support...

I attach the files as zip, because rar is not allowed..

best regards,

PSchuetz

PS: One file is from auto-session-save, the next one is the automatic backup of the auto-session-save file made by Opera webbrowser and the third is from manual session save..
    Attached Files

GDH

Default Opera files

The files that you sent are simple text files.

You need to run a "Complete File Search" for text files.

You will most likely find thousands of text files because any file fragments are also returned as text. You will need to use the FILTER button to filter the search results for the keyword "opera".
    Last edited by GDH; 06-11-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Thumbs down That help is not satisfying, I can do it by myself without your help..

Hi there,

your answer is not satisfying!

You need an algorithm to detect only Opera session files as lost files!

I can only select Text-files in the Lost-File-Search in RMF, but not Opera-Session-files with *.win file extension..!

I strongly suggest to add this type of Lost-File-Search pattern and extension..

best regards,

PSchuetz

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Opera .win files are plain text files.

Perform the following test:

1. Place the three sample files you sent in a folder called C:\Opera Test Files\

2. Run Recover My Files and select "Complete File Search"

3. In the drive selection window, click "Add Folder To Search" and then add the C:\Opera Test Files\ folder to the search. Select and search this folder. Ignore the message about not having any drives selected - just search this folder.

4. In the file type selection window, select all file types (put a tick next to every file). Run the search.

The search should complete in less than 10 seconds (because you are just searching this folder). In the results screen you should find that RMF has found all the files in this folder at TEXT. If this was a real search you would need to use the Filter button to find your Opera files in the search results by searching for the keyword "opera". You would then need to save the files and rename the extension.

I suggest you try this to recover your files.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Question Hmm

Hi there,

ok thanks.

But why thread this as TEXT-files?

Why not specify these as seperate session files?

If you would include an file-type filter in the selection box, RMF would only search for lost files, which are opera-session files with the specific pattern.

Is that not possible?

best regards,

PSchuetz

GDH

Default Data Recovery

It is theoretically possible to search specifically for an Opera Session file:

However....

Opera files are text files - RMF does not look at the file extension because in data recovery the file extension is often either unreliable or has been destroyed.

To search specifically for Opera files, RMF would need to locate a Text file and then perform a routine to determine if it contained "Opera" in the header. Because of the large volume of text files located in a search (as per my previous post) this would require a significant amount of PC resources to test each text file and would slow the program down. Some users select all file types in a search (which I strongly suggest you never do) and with the added Opera requirements it would slow the search down by as much as 20%.

The current solution is much better, which is when a user wants to find opera files, he/she runs a search for text files and then uses the filter button. Please note that you can also tun the Filter button on during the search - so that you only ever see your Opera files in the results screen.

The next version of RMF, Version 4, has a different interface and this type of thing will not be such an issue.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast