+ Reply to Thread

Lost Files Folder - RMF "Recovering" files that were never deleted?

This is a discussion on Lost Files Folder - RMF "Recovering" files that were never deleted? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; This question is similar to the thread "Lost Folder(s) Question", but I didn't understand the Administrator's answer. I am using ...

vectra39 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Lost Files Folder - RMF "Recovering" files that were never deleted?

This question is similar to the thread "Lost Folder(s) Question", but I didn't understand the Administrator's answer.

I am using v3.73.

I am searching for jpegs accidentally deleted by my kids and when the Complete search is run, the results screen brings up EVERY SINGLE JPEG on my computer, calls them Recovered_JPEG_601, Recovered_JPEG_602, etc and says the location is D:\Lost Files\.

There is no such folder on my D drive, so what does that mean? And, those files were never deleted in the first place, so why is RMF calling them "Recovered"? I am confused.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default What does "Lost Files" mean....

Hi,

There is no "D:\Lost Files" folder on your computer. It is a name created by Recover My Files in the search results screen.

Firstly I am interested in you saying that it found every single jpeg, even "those files [that] were never deleted in the first place ".

I can tell that you are running a "Complete File Search" becasue you have found files that start "Recovered_...". This means that the program has found the files by scanning the disk and looking at the header, content and footer of each file. The only way it would find ALL files, both deleted and non deleted are:
    1. If you searched the "physical drive" - a "physical drive" is the entire contents of the physical hard disk. it ignores partition (i.e. drive letters) and will bring back all the files deleted or not.

2. If you click on "Add Folders to Search" in the drive selection window. Like it says, this adds an active folder to the search. It is used to search through active files - for example, you may be looking for temporary files created by Microsoft Word.
    There are two basic methods to find a deleted file:
    1. Use the Operating System information stored in Master File Table (MFT) located at the start of the disk. When a file is deleted its MFT record is marked to indicate that it is deleted. A MFT record also holds the file and folder name and the location of the file on the disk. This way the file can quickly be found and displayed with all its original information. We call this type of deleted file a "Deleted File".

2. If there is no longer an MFT record because the MFT record has been overwritten/destroyed, then the only way to find the file is to search over the entire disk looking to find the file by its unique header, content and footer. We call this type of deleted file a "Lost File" because if there is no MFT record then the Operating System has no idea that this file even exists. Also, as there is not MFT record, we do not know the original file name or folder location. So we put it in a folder called "Lost Files" and give it a name like "Recovered_JPEG_1".
    I hope this has helped.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

vectra39 is offline Junior Member

Default Thanks

Graham, that absolutely makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread