+ Reply to Thread

Deleting Lost Files

This is a discussion on Deleting Lost Files within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hello all. I can't seem to find an answer to this... When I run a cluster level complete search, some ...

sirfin is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Deleting Lost Files

Hello all. I can't seem to find an answer to this...
    When I run a cluster level complete search, some of the "lost files" found contain sensitive information and while I can recover them, I can't seem to delete them for good. I am using Secure Clean in addition to Recover My Files and a "deep clean" does not do it. I was originally told that these lost files lay outside the partition and as such will not be cleaned by the SC process so as an experiment, I resized my partitions with Acronis Disk Director and got the same result. Is there any way anyone knows how to get rid of these things without wiping the drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by sirfin; 01-14-2008 at 06:57 AM.

dpedigo is offline Junior Member

Can you tell me ALL of the options you have selected in both SecureClean and Recover My Files? I specifically need to know what cleaning options you have selected in SecureClean and what search options you have set in Recover My Files.

Also, what type of file is this that you are still recovering data from? Is this a file that you know for a fact has been previously deleted and does not still reside as an active file on the hard drive?

sirfin is offline Junior Member

The options on R/M/F are "full cluster level search" with both the C:\ drive and "0 physical" drives selected. The file type selected is .jpg. The results show up as "lost files" with no descriptors other that a location and size such as 0\lostfiles_001.jpg 45kb (there is no time stamp). There are maybe 700 or so of these found. I may be a bit off as this is from memory. The bulk of these items are small icons and snapshots of various screens within programs such as setup menus. There are also copies of active files in the mydocs folder which have never been deleted. None of this is any problem, it's just one of those mysteries which I can't seem to find an answer to. As far as secure clean, it's set for deep clean with all items checked except "names of deleted files." The disk has been set for 750MB to be free and the "optimized" box in the cleaning area is checked as well. Thanks for your interest.

dpedigo is offline Junior Member

When running Recover My Files be sure to only search the partition ( C:\, D:\, etc). You cannot search the physical drive otherwise you will find files that could not be cleaned using SecureClean.

It sounds to me like these deleted files you are finding might not actually be deleted. Are you sure you don't have a screen capture application running on that system? That would definitely explain why you are finding so many pictures of applications on your computer.

Just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread