+ Reply to Thread

Recover data after doing a full format?

This is a discussion on Recover data after doing a full format? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi Is it possible to recover files after the hard drive has had a full format (not quick format)? The ...

arya6000 is offline Junior Member

Default Recover data after doing a full format?

Hi

Is it possible to recover files after the hard drive has had a full format (not quick format)? The file system on the hard drive was ntfs.

Thank You

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

It depends what you mean by a full format.

If you are using Windows Vista, then a Full Format usually means that you have overwritten the entire drive with 0's, and thus none of the old files can be recovered.

If you are using an older version of Windows, it is much more difficult to erase your data with the format command.

I suggest you download Recover My Files and try a Complete Format Recover following the instructions in the first post (sticky) of this forum. You will then be able to see if any files are located and if they can be previewed in the results screen.

Good luck.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

milker is offline Junior Member

Default Vista OS cannot be recovered?

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    Hi,

It depends what you mean by a full format.

If you are using Windows Vista, then a Full Format usually means that you have overwritten the entire drive with 0's, and thus none of the old files can be recovered.

If you are using an older version of Windows, it is much more difficult to erase your data with the format command.

I suggest you download Recover My Files and try a Complete Format Recover following the instructions in the first post (sticky) of this forum. You will then be able to see if any files are located and if they can be previewed in the results screen.

Good luck.
    Does this means that if the OS is Vista, I will not be able to recover the formatted partition?
    I actually wanted to format the OS partition (C drive) and not the other (F drive)
    When I did the re-installation, it says reformatting Windows partition but when everything is completed, I could not see my F drive.
    Any hope? I have lots of data in my F drive.
    Please help.....

GDH

Default Data Recovery

It depends what settings the Vista Format ran with as to whether it wrote zeros over the whole drive. The best thing to do is try a scan with Recover My Files and see what you can get back. Download the program here: http://download.getdata.com/RecoverMyFiles-Setup.exe and try it in evaluation mode.

Was your F: drive on a separate physical drive? If so, try running a Complete Format Recover and in the drive selection window, you should see the "physical" drive listed.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

milker is offline Junior Member

Default Only FAT files?

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    It depends what settings the Vista Format ran with as to whether it wrote zeros over the whole drive. The best thing to do is try a scan with Recover My Files and see what you can get back. Download the program here: http://download.getdata.com/RecoverMyFiles-Setup.exe and try it in evaluation mode.

Was your F: drive on a separate physical drive? If so, try running a Complete Format Recover and in the drive selection window, you should see the "physical" drive listed.
    Hi Graham,
    I did the CFR and did not see anything "old" on the Recovered NTFS Partition, but on the Recovered FAT Partition, there were many folders marked with a red X that have big files dated all the way back to the 80's and some were even created in 2030!!. However, I don't see many with dates in 2000's. Can you please advise?? Thanks!!

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

It sounds like the partition table got really screwed up.

Probably your best option is now to run a "Complete File Search" for specific file types. You may not get the original file names back, but the file data should be valid.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

GDH

Default Data Recovery

To update this thread:

This page has some instructional videos on how to do a "Recover Drive" search with Recover My Files v4:

Hard Drive Data Recovery: Data Recovery Videos
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

bratt15 is offline Junior Member

Default hard drive recovery

HI,
    Yes it is possible for hard drive data retrieval by using hard drive recovery software.After formatting the data from hard drive can be recovered only if is not overwritten by any new data after format. If new data is written then it has less chances for recovery. You can download free demo version of software that was very helpful for me to recover my files after formatting my hard drive.
    Last edited by GDH; 04-11-2012 at 06:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread