+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

lost all my pictures and my documents was erased help!

This is a discussion on lost all my pictures and my documents was erased help! within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I installed norton and was having problems connecting to the internet, so i tried to restore through windows and it ...

Foxtrot_01 is offline Junior Member

Default lost all my pictures and my documents was erased help!

I installed norton and was having problems connecting to the internet, so i tried to restore through windows and it failed twice, I restored thru HP compaq and when it was finally over I checked and all the applications are there but my documents(my pics, music and all my personal files are missing) please help these are years of pics that I had on this my pictures files.

I tried Windows restore but it only gives me the restore date of today, why are all the applications that i added in the desktop but my documents has been wiped out? any ideas on how to retrieve this information from the harddrive, I heard that information is never deleted from a harddrive it is just placed somewhere else, even when you format the harddrive the information is somewhere, how can i get this back, please help

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

The best thing you can do after something like this happens, is to try and limit the use of your computer. The more things you try, the more that you write to the disk and change its content, and risk overwriting and destroying the deleted files.

In your situation it sounds like there have been quite a lot of changes to the disk.

The first thing I would do is to try and find your photos.

Download and install Recover My Files from http://download.getdata.com/RecoverMyFiles-Setup.exe

Run a "Complete File Search" of the drive letter for the JPEG (photo) file types (and you may also want to include doc files or a small number of other important file types). In File Type View of the search results screen you will be able to click on the files found (even whilst the search is in progress) and preview the photos. The files found in this search probably wont have their original names, but usually with pictures this is no big deal.

Only if you can preview the photos should you purchase a key and save them to another drive (hard drive, usb, CD, DVD etc.).

After you have your important files back, I would suggest you try a new search to see if you can recover the entire original file and folder structure back. Follow these instructions: http://forums.getdata.com/computer-d...ard-drive.html

Good luck.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

toplevelperformance is offline Junior Member

Default lost my videos

tried to recover them. i found them but they wont open what should i do next ????

i have already purchased the restore my file program is there any way i will ever be able to see my videos again???
    Last edited by toplevelperformance; 01-02-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Please write to support@getdata.com and send us some sample files that will not open so we can examine the content.

You can also do this yourself with Explorer View for Windows Explorer - File Viewer: Powerpoint viewer, plus Visio, DWG, Excel, AutoCad, PDF and more.

Take a look at the content of the files - e.g. a jpeg, and compare it to a real jpeg - do they look the same?
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

treefiddy is offline Junior Member

Is there any update to this? I am basically in the same boat. Last night I turn my PC on, Windows would not boot because of a windows system config file was missing or corrupt. I went through the HP recovery console and when everything was done it was like I turned the computer on for the first time. My pictures, videos, and music weren't there. I checked the space on the hard drive and it seems like the space used and the free space are the same as before. I just can't find my files.

edit - Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have not tried the Recover My Files software.
    Last edited by treefiddy; 02-02-2009 at 03:58 PM.

GDH

Please download and run Recover My Files. You need to run a Complete Format Recover on the Physical drive searching only for the default selected file types.

At the end of the search, you should see your missing file and folder structure in Folder View of the search results screen.

Thank you.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

GDH, thanks for the reply. Am I able to download and run this software on the affected computer... I have read over and over today that you should not mess with the computer too much when you are going to try and recover files. I just want to make sure I can work on my desktop PC without making things worse.

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

The best possible way to try the recovery would be to take this hard drive to another computer and connect it as a secondary drive.

This means that you can download and install data recovery software on the C: drive of this PC, and use it to search the secondary problem drive.

This methodology greatly reduces the prospect that you, or Windows, will write data to the drive and change the content and ******ially destroy missing files.

This methodology however may not be practical for you, so you may decide to take the risk and run it form your C: drive. Recover My Files is about 10mb in size, so it does not have a big footprint. If you do decide to do this, you should limit the use of your PC just to your data recovery attempts until you have your important files back.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

GDH,

I am in the process of performing the complete format recovery. The number of OS items found is @ 198k and still rapidly climbing.There are no files in the file view window. Is this normal?

Sorry for the double post. I just got done with the complete format recovery. The total number of OS items found was near 217k. I clicked the stop button once and let the program build and display the folder structure. This took a little over 10 minutes for the folders to show up in the folder view window. I am pleased to say that all my pics, videos, music, and misc files were found. I will be purchasing the product activation key here in a while to save them.

Thanks again for your replies GDH.

treefiddy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast