+ Reply to Thread

Out of Memory

This is a discussion on Out of Memory within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi, My PC was recently stolen, it was recovered by the police but had been formatted and a new copy ...

amcp is offline Junior Member

Default Out of Memory

Hi,

My PC was recently stolen, it was recovered by the police but had been formatted and a new copy of Vista installed.

After doing some research I downloaded Recovermyfiles and ran a complete format recovery with the default file types.

After a very long run time it claimed it was Recovering partion 4 and then got an "Out of Memory" error and the computer froze.

I searched these forums and found some reference to an Out of memory error but they were in 2007 and seemed to have been fixed by a version update. I downloaded the latest build recently so it seems I have a different issue.

Any advice would be appreciated, there are some crucial files on the disk. Also could you elaborate on the differences between Complete, and Quick format recovery and what they mean for the results and way I get my files back.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Recover My Files stores the search results in memory so as not to change anything on the drive being searched.

This is a very rare error (unless your PC has a small amount of RAM and the search brings back a huge number of files).

Please confirm the version number of Recover My Files that you have installed.

The Fast Format Recover looks to find and display the partition table. The Complete Format Recover looks to find and display the Master File Table records inside the partition table.

The best search for you is the Complete Format Recover on the physical drive. Did you actually have 4 partitions on this drive?

There are instructions on how to run a Complete Format Recover in the first sticky post of this forum. You will note that these instructions say to stop the search after the OS Items number has reached a high number and stopped increasing (which happens after the first MFT table is found).

If you continue to have problems you can use this technique to search for your files. If you have multiple partitions, then in OPTIONS > ADVANCED you can use the "prompt for start cluster" option to start each search progressively further down the disk, looking for the next valid partition.

If in the end you are still having problems - run a "Complete File Search" on the drive letter for specific file types - this may not recover the original file names and folder structure, but you should still be able to locate your important documents as it is a search for the header and footer of each file - these files will be called "Recovered_FileType_xx".

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

amcp is offline Junior Member

Thankyou for your swift response. I have run another search on the physical hard drive, and stopped at the point which the sticky suggests.

I am confused about what the results mean however, where should I be chosing the files I want to save? From the Recovered Partition tab? Or from the "Search Results" tab.

Should the recovered partition tab be a list of every single file the search has found on this partition? There seems to be many duplicates of every file, ie 10 versions. Why is this? And should I only select (tick) 1?

Thankyou in anticipation.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Data recovery is never exact - because you are never able to tell exactly what files have been overwritten and destroyed. You just have to search, find valid files, and save them. In a lot of cases you will get 100% back, in some cases not.

Look in both Folder View and File View. Click on the files to preview their content. If you find files that you need that you can preview their content, then save them.

If you are getting 10 copies of the same file, there could be multiple reasons; eg.

* the Master File Table may have replicated - leaving multiple MFT records that point to the same file;
    * you may be recovering versions of the same document that have previously been deleted.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread