+ Reply to Thread

Files recovered, but don't open

This is a discussion on Files recovered, but don't open within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; "Recover my Files" has found all of the files that I needed that were lost during a drive crash. They ...

Kauzmic is offline Junior Member

Default Files recovered, but don't open

"Recover my Files" has found all of the files that I needed that were lost during a drive crash. They include the complete directory structure and all sub folders. The files have the correct names, sizes and dates. Everything is there and looks fine. But the files won't open, with the exception of .wav files - these are perfect even though they average 250 megs and there are lots of them.

The ones that do open, just have code inside of them. The file types include .avi, .ppt, .jpg & .txt.

Any suggestions? How can it be so complete, but still not work??
    Thanks,
    Steve

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Steve,

Can you please provide some more information on exactly what happened to your hard drive?
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Default More info on crashed drive

Hi Graham:

As I recall, I was in the middle of defragging the external Lacie drive when an error occured. The drive would no longer load at reboot, so as a last resort, I reformatted it hoping that I could recover any files that I might need.

Do you think changing settings on the recovery program - setting specific files to look for, would help? Or is the header information for each file just gone?

I've attached a typical text file.
    Thanks!
    Steve
    Attached Files

Graham:

Here's a screen shot of the recovered directory structure.
    Steve
    Attached Images

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default data recovery

At the start of your drive there is an index (much like a book) to every file on your drive. It is called the Master File Table (MFT).

Every file on your PC has an entry in the MFT. This records includes information about where on the disk the data for the file is located.

When you defrag your computer, you are playing with the MFT. You are telling the computer to re-organize the files so that they each file occupies conseutive storage locations and the file data is moved to the start of the drive. This is all done so it take the computer less time to reach and read the file - i.e. an increase in speed/performance.

In your situation, Recover My Files is finding the MFT - which is why it is getting the full file and folder structure. However, when Recover My Files follows the MFT record pointers out to the data locations, it is finding random data.

This is common with your type of problem - the MFT has screwed up and now no longer points to the correct location on the drive for the file data.

You have two options;

1. You can try running a Complete Format Recover on the physical drive for the default selected file types, and let this search run all the way to the end. You may find that in addition locating the corrupt file system, that you also find a second one that contains valid records.

2. Run a Complete File Search on the physical drive for specific file types. You will probably not get the original file and folder name, but you will find the specific file types which are recognized by their header and footer. These files will be called "Recovered_FileType_x".
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Default How do I search for an extension the program doesn't recognize?

Thanks for the detailed response Graham! I've already tried option 1 and will now try option 2, but I have a question that help doesn't cover.

Under 'filter' on the application window, I can choose file types as well as dates. But how do I choose several file types? Do I separate them by a comma? I need to search for an extension ".veg" - a Sony Vegas file. This file type doesn't show up in the extension window.
    Thanks,
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread