+ Reply to Thread

Lost/corrupt $Mft - unreadable drive

This is a discussion on Lost/corrupt $Mft - unreadable drive within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hello there, I am in desperate need of any help anyone can provide. I woke up this morning and saw ...

monkeyspaw is offline Junior Member

Default Lost/corrupt $Mft - unreadable drive

Hello there,
    I am in desperate need of any help anyone can provide. I woke up this morning and saw a message on my computer saying that there was a delayed write failure or something like that of the $Mft file of my external hard drive. I can no longer access the files on this external hard drive. However, the drive still shows up in My Computer. When I double click to open the drive, it opens but it is completely blank. I have tried 5 or 6 different recovery programs including RecoverMyFiles, PCInspector, PTDD, GetDataBack, and a few others, and none of them can even detect the hard drive, so I can't run the programs to see if the files can even be recovered. This is a brand new hard drive I purchased maybe 2 months ago to replace a different failed hard drive but it did not come with a warranty, that I'm aware of (I'm in Japan right now and don't really understand the language). I've also tried running "chkdsk j:" from Windows command but it says it cannot open the volume. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Does the drive have power? Can you hear it spin up? Does it have a light? Can you hear it reading data? Does it make any strange sounds?

Can you see the drive in My Computer > Manage > Disk Management? If so, what is the status?
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

gk11 is offline Junior Member

it may be a hardware issue due to a crappy exclosure to begin with, if on a desktop, take it out of current case and pop it into machine,

if on a laptop, buy a good exclosure, preferably with an on/off switch and a cooling fan built in, noisier, but longer life.

overheat can kill exclosures quite quickly and in turn throw up any number of ******ial error messages due to the hardware being faulty.

hmm site seems to think p-o-t-e-n-t is a bad word??
    Last edited by gk11; 08-02-2010 at 03:03 AM.

+ Reply to Thread