+ Reply to Thread

Need to format disk in drive J:\

This is a discussion on Need to format disk in drive J:\ within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; My external hard drive isn't functioning properly. Here's the story...... My dog ran under a table and pulled my external ...

MarkD33 is offline Junior Member

Default Need to format disk in drive J:\

My external hard drive isn't functioning properly. Here's the story......

My dog ran under a table and pulled my external hard off the table onto a tile floor. I ran a check disk last night and it ran overnight into late morning. In a moment of shear stupidity and impatience, I cancelled the check disk and now my external hard drive is "gone". Whenever I try to access it, I get the following message "You need to format the drive J: before you can use it".

I downloaded RecoverMyFiles and am running the Recover a Drive process using the recommended settings. It's taking forever.

My external drive is a 1TB Iomega.

First, the system searches through 121595 locations for lost partitions (none found).

Then, the system searches through 1,930,000,000 blocks. That process is running at roughly 2,500,000 blocks per hour. At that rate, this process won't rfinish until mid-September.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something else I should be doing?

Mark

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

It may be that the impact on the floor has physically damaged the disks so that you computer is not communicating with it properly.

What is the value for Files Found and Filesystem records found in the search results window?

It may be easier when you get this post if you click on the blue live support button in the top right hand corner of this screen so that I can chat with you.

Thanks
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

2 Files

0 File Systems

I'll try the LiveSupport tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Hi - Those numbers indicate that the drive is not being correctly read by your pc.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Default LiveSupport

Graham,

Not sure where you're located. When is good time to connect via livesupport?

Mark

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Our main support office is located in Utah USA and operates between 9am - 6pm Monday to Friday (866) 723-7329.

I am located in Sydney Australia, and also work between 9am - 6pm Mon Fri Ph: +61 2 82086053.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread