+ Reply to Thread

Analysis of found system fragments?

This is a discussion on Analysis of found system fragments? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I started a recovery on my HD about 7 days ago. It found the the attached file types (see pic). ...

lexar is offline Junior Member

Default Analysis of found system fragments?

I started a recovery on my HD about 7 days ago. It found the the attached file types (see pic). I've been happy with the results but it's taken 6 days to go through the process of "analysis of found system fragments". The status bar moves about 1/4 of an inch per day. Will it ever finish and why so long? At this rate it will take 2 weeks just to see if it recovers my files.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Analysis of found system fragments?-analysis.jpg  

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Even the slowest possible search with Recover My Files should take a maximum of 24 hours to run. If it goes longer than this then there is a problem.

In your situation it appears that your drive has powered down and gone to sleep during the search. It is probably an external USB hard drive, and your computer has told it to save power and Recover My Files was not able to keep it awake and searching.

I would click the stop button now. Save the existing search listing to a file by going to the top text menu and selecting Recover > Save Search. It's worth saving just because you have spent this long - but you probably wont use is again.

Now close Recover My Files and disconnect and replug the problem hard drive.

It is best to check in Control Panel, Power Options to make sure you don't have hard drives set to go to seep. They should be set to "never". Some USB devices also have their own power setup - but they are many and varied so have a look to see if you can find them, but if not its ok.

Now run Recover My Files again and make sure you have the latest version by clicking the update button on the main program screen.

There is a video on this page which tells you how to run the fastest possible drive recovery: GetData Support Centre - How to recover delted files, formated drives, Windows restore, missing drive letters (called Recover My Files v4 Drive Recovery).

You seem to have a massive number of JPEGs on this drive. So the best search for you is to:
    • Run a Recover Drive search
    • Search the "Hard Disk" (not the drive letter)
    • Search only for the JPEG file type.

What you wish to happen is for the "Filesystem" records number to increase rapidly and then remain stable - this means that Recover My Files has found and read the "Master File Table" and will be able to recover all files (not just jpegs). Once the Filesystem records number reaches a high number and stops going up - stop the search and the virtual partition will build and display in the search results screen. You should be albe to preview your files when you click on them - if not, then the virtual partition is invalid and you will need to run a new search.

You can also scan the drive in segments using this technique. Before you stop the search, note what block number it is up to - then in the OPTIONS > ADVANCED tab put a tick in the "prompt for start sector" box and "only search for lost files" and "search the entire drive". The next search you run you will be prompted for the starting location on the disk.

I hope this helps - watch the video if this sounds confusing.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread