+ Reply to Thread

Unable to Access Data in Portable Hard Drive

This is a discussion on Unable to Access Data in Portable Hard Drive within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Greetings: I'm in a terrible dilemma, and I need serious help with my portable hard drive please. The portable hard ...

Valencia Reef is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Unable to Access Data in Portable Hard Drive

Greetings:

I'm in a terrible dilemma, and I need serious help with my portable hard drive please.

The portable hard drive's capacity is of 700GB and around 268GB has been used. So it still has plenty of space left. However, one day it just randomly started acting strange. Every time I would try to access it, the computer would get incredibly slow, as if struggling or unable to read the data inside. Now it has fallen into a worse state.

First, every time I would connect it to the USB port, it showed a message saying "Unidentified Device", and no matter how hard I tried by uninstalling it by following troubleshooting directions, and then booting the computer, it would still show up as unidentified device. So, I tried a different computer. Ok, it worked, it was installed successfully, and I was happy that all the data inside was not lost. Everything is in there... except for the fact that I can't access any of my data. When I try to do so, the portable hard drives freezes up, and makes the computer incredibly slow.

I seriously don't want to lose any of the data in my portable hard drive. Someone please help me.

Cordially,

Valencia Reef

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

What sort of portable drive is it? Is it possible to remove the actual hard drive from the USB case?

(the USB case may be causing the problem, and this is a way of taking it out of the equation).
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Valencia Reef is offline Junior Member

It's a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus Portable Hard Drive.

Sadly, I don't think it can be removed of its USB case. It's entirely inside a metallic box and I don't see any screws around it to remove them.

If this helps, here's a picture of how exactly looks like:

Click Here and Here.

As shown in the second picture, the hard drive brought its own recovery CD, however, when I put in, it doesn't do anything. I was told that it may be a type of CD that only works if run from the Boot Section of the computer. Sadly, I haven't tried that yet because I do not know how to do it.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

It may be possible to remove the drive from the case - take a look at this: YouTube - How to open a Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus (External Hard Disk)

Is it under warranty? If so, removing the drive will void it and you probably wont get a replacement.

If not, then, as you should never trust this drive again, it would be worth trying to get the drive out to see if you can get the data off.

It may be best to get this done at a PC shop if you are not confident.

Getting the drive out may not make a difference, but if the case is causing the problem it could give you back access to the data on the disk.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread