+ Reply to Thread

Can't find files...at all

This is a discussion on Can't find files...at all within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I am trying to recover an external 1TB USB drive for a friend who says it just stopped working and ...

sullivanjm is offline Junior Member

Default Can't find files...at all

I am trying to recover an external 1TB USB drive for a friend who says it just stopped working and should have 250G of files on it. My computer can see the drive, but when I plug it in, i get 2 phantom USB drives i and j, that cannot be accessed. I look in disk management and Vista want's to "initialize" the drive and give me the option for MBR ro GPT type partition table. I have said NO because I don't want to write over something.

I originally scanned the disk with an older version of RMF (2.27) and it found quite a few files, but they were all the same size and only a few types (zip, jpg, etc). I thought somethign was wrong so I had not started the recover process yet, and my computer blue screened, so I lost the search results.)

I have now run the latestet version of RMF and use the disk recover. It does not look like it actually recovers any partition at all, and when it finishes the scan (which takes 24 hours) there is only 1 File, a small 128K EXE file. It can't find any other files at all. I'm at a loss at to where to go next. Any help is appreciated.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

It does not sound like the second search with the latest version of Recover My Files was actually able to read the disk.

You may need to try and initialize the disk for Recover My Files to be able to access it. Normally we advise not to change the content of the drive in any way, but you need to get the physical drive to be accessible by your PC so there may be no other way. A MBR (Master Boot Record) is a very small piece of data at the beginning of the drive http://en.wikipedia*****/wiki/Master_boot_record. Once it is initialized (dont format it or do anything further) you should be able to access and search the physical drive.

If the drive has physical errors, when you try and initialize the disk, it will return an error, in which case your only option will be a hardware recovery service.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Default slowly with mostly text files

It is finding files now, but I have it on slow search looking for every file type. It looks like it's going to take 10+ days to run. However, it looks to mostly be finding text files, but in preview mode, they are not text. Any ideas why that would be?

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Now that you can search the hard drive, please follow these instructions to recover the files:

Step by step guide and video to recovering data from a problem drive
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

I have been following those directions. The recovery has been running for over 2 days not, and it's not even 20% done. It looks like it will take over 10 days to run????

Addtionally, it is finding mostly text files, which should not be the case. There were not that many text files. On the other file types, all the file sizes are the same. None of the files have the original file name. Are these all expected results? It doesn't seem so to me.

GDH

Default Data Recovery

You need to run a "Recover Drive" search on the "hard disk" in automatic mode.

This search does not search for "TXT" files - do not search for them or it will slow the search down.

Watch the "filesystem records" number and when it gets to a high number, stop the search and let the search results rebuild and display in the search results screen. You should get to this point within 2 hours.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Default No files again

OK - ran the drive recovery in automatic mode. Been running for 12 hours. It's about 75% done and has found 0 files.

GDH

Default Data Recovery

That is not a good sign. I suspect your drive is not being recognized by your pc.

When you go in to Windows Disk Management (Right Click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management) can you see the physical drive listed? What is the status of the drive?
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Since I did the initialization, the computer can see the drive just fine.

See attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can't find files...at all-diskimage.jpg  

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Please click on the blue live support button in the top right hand corner of this page so that I can chat with you. The best way to solve this is for me to share your screen and take a look.

Thanks
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread