+ Reply to Thread

CHKDSK /r foolishness

This is a discussion on CHKDSK /r foolishness within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Halloo - I ran RMF on my recently erratic F: 320G WD HDD and was delighted to see that it ...

mikotondria is offline Junior Member

Default CHKDSK /r foolishness

Halloo -
    I ran RMF on my recently erratic F: 320G WD HDD and was delighted to see that it found and recovered my stuff as needed, with filenames intact.
    It took several hours, and I had maybe 15000 files.
    I went to save these files on another drive and it got to about 30% then the computer froze. About 30% of my directory structure was copied successfully.
    I thought it may have been an error reading from the F, so I ran CHKDSK on it, and now when I run RMF I see that the files it recovers do not have their proper names, only filetypes ...
    How would you advise I proceed ?
    Many thanks,
    Mike.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

CHKDSK writes data to the disk. If you are trying to recovery data - NEVER run CHKDSK.

Unfortunately it is very likely that the remainder of your file and folder structure is now toast.

You only option now is to run the search and look through the "Lost Files" - these are the ones that are found by the header and footer of the specific file type - the content will be valid but the original file name is gone.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

mikotondria is offline Junior Member

Ah shucks, I had suspected as much.
    Luckily I had Mozy'd a lot of the deathly important stuff..
    I can pick through the nameless debris as a little ongoing side project then

Thanks for your response.

+ Reply to Thread