+ Reply to Thread

WinXP Extended partition

This is a discussion on WinXP Extended partition within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi, I just upgraded to Windows7 home premium 64bit from windows XP 32bit. Two of my back up drives are ...

John Gerard is offline Junior Member

Default WinXP Extended partition

Hi,
    I just upgraded to Windows7 home premium 64bit from windows XP 32bit. Two of my back up drives are unreadable in Windows7. I formatted them in WinXP as Extended partition. Is there a way to read these drives in Windows7 or is there a way to convert them to work under Windows7? I first thought the drives got corrupted by the USB Windows7 bug. Now I am thinking Windows7 just can not read the extended partition information. If this is not the case is there a way to rebuild the partition table? One of the two drives I have not written any info to the drive so I believe all the files are still there. The other drive Win7 created a new partition info on the drive so this drive reads as being blank. I did create one folder with nothing in it to this drive. The first drive Windows7 sees the drive but thinks I need to format the drive before I can use it. I have been using recover my files and this is a long and tedious process. I am able to recover some of the files from the disks. Others I can recover but don't have all the correct header,etc info in the files so My computer can not read them.

Thanks,
    John

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

You may like to try and plug the good drive back into a PC which has XP on it to see if you can copy the data directly off the drive.

If not, and also with the other drive, you should be able to recover all the data with Recover My Files. Follow these instructions:

Recover a Formatted Drive with Recover My Files v4

and you should see the full file and folder structure in the search results screen and be able to preview the contents of the files when you click on them.

Good luck.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread