+ Reply to Thread

Unable to save to NAS drive, help!

This is a discussion on Unable to save to NAS drive, help! within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I am trying to recover files from my accidentally formatted laptop drive to my NAS drive. Getdata software is red ...

xetairex is offline Junior Member

Default Unable to save to NAS drive, help!

I am trying to recover files from my accidentally formatted laptop drive to my NAS drive.
    Getdata software is red X'ing my NAS drive for some reason.
    My windows explorer can see the mapped nas drive as Z drive, can create folders, move
    Files to z drive... Etc.
    Spent half an hour with getdata remote desktop tech support today, but he said he did not know what the issue was after trying for awhile

Running windows 7 with dlink dns323 nas drive in raid1 config, 2 tb+2 tb samsung drives (all eqipment brand new)

Anyone has a clue?

Thanks

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Save to a Network Drive;

In order to save files to a network drive, the remote location must be shared as a drive letter on the computer which is running Recover My Files. Then, when the "Browse" button is selected in the Recover My Files "Save Files" window (shown below) it is possible to navigate to and select this remote drive letter.

In your case, the drive had a red X on it and did not allow saving to the mapped folder.

I am not sure why this is, but it looks to be some strange Microsoft networking quirk. There are a number of references to it, such as this from Microsoft: A red "X" appears in the icon for a mapped network drive in Windows Vista, even though you can successfully access the drive

Follow the instructions at the Microsoft site. If a reboot is required, you will need to save your current search results in a file (RECOVER > SAVE SEARCH), then reboot your pc, reload the search results (RECOVER > LOAD SEARCH).
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

thanks, I will try that out and will let you know if it worked or not.

I no longer have this problem. I don't know how it fixe the issue, but by double-clicking on the x'd drive, I was able to actually get the recovermyfiles S/W to save into the NAS drive. I did not have to follow Microsoft's advise per the web page (they are for Vista, mine is Win7, so the advise would not be relevant to me anyhow).

Anyway, all's well that ends well

+ Reply to Thread