+ Reply to Thread

Lost Outlook Data File

This is a discussion on Lost Outlook Data File within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; While repairing a corrupted disk that eventually required reinstall of XP Pro, the active Microsoft Data Folder that is created ...

Bettle10 is offline Junior Member

Default Lost Outlook Data File

While repairing a corrupted disk that eventually required reinstall of XP Pro, the active Microsoft Data Folder that is created in: drive\documents and settings\user\application data\Microsoft\outlook was replaced. The desired folder had all the new emails and personal folders since last archive and was 200Meg and during the reinstall when Outlook was first opened it created a placeholder shell folder of 48K. I have tried other file recovery software that just works with re-creating the MFT and the desired file is not recognized. Does this program have the capability to help me? thanks

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Recover My Files essentially has three levels of recovery:
    1. Partition recovery (recovers the entire partition)
    2. Recovery of individual file system records (MFT records) in a parititon
    3. data carving

From what you describe, the first two methods of recovering the old Windows file system are not working for you as the correct filesystem record for your old PST file cannot be located.

In this case, I would suggest you try data carving. This is the process of searching over the disk for the header and footer of specific file types, i.e. in this case, the PST file type.

I suggest you try the following:
    1. Clcik on OPTIONS > ADVANCED and put a tick in the box for "run a lost file search only" and "search the entire drive...."
    2. Now run a "Recover Drive" on the "hard disk" (not the drive letter) for the PST file type.

This should find "Lost Files" (files found by header and footer) and you will get an indication of whether the file may be valid by the file size. You can also click in the preview window to view the file as hex to see if you can identify valid information in the file before deciding to purchase a key and save the file.

Because PST files are usually large, they can often easily become corrupt. If you do save a pst file and it does not open in Outlook, try reading the file with Email & PST Recovery: Recover deleted emails today! to see if it contains valid messages.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread