+ Reply to Thread

Very, very very slow recovery

This is a discussion on Very, very very slow recovery within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hello- I have a secondary internal 500GB HDD with all of my music and video files on it (I am ...

lingle873333 is offline Junior Member

Default Very, very very slow recovery

Hello-
    I have a secondary internal 500GB HDD with all of my music and video files on it (I am an idiot and hadn't backed it up in 6 months). I tried to access my files to, finally, do my backup and received the message "J: is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." I removed the drive and installed it in an external enclosure; it is a USB drive on a USB 2.0 port. Same message (drive letter is still J). Having heard about RecoverMyFiles, I downloaded it and I am currently running a drive recovery. It has been running for 24 hours and, in scanning blocks, is currently on block +/- 7,000,000 out of approx. 970,000,000 total. So far, no files have been found but +/- 300,000 bad sectors have been found. At this rate, the recovery will take several months of continuous running.

I have searched the forum to make sure I am using the program properly and I feel sure that I am. Is this a problem with RecoverMyFiles or is it a signal that the drive isn't recoverable or is it something else altogether?

Thanks for your help.

PS I have not tried the drive, in its external enclosure, on another machine.
    Last edited by lingle873333; 02-20-2011 at 04:40 AM.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Bad sectors will definitely slow the search down - however your problem may be caused because the drive has powered down or gone to sleep.

I would stop your current search - you can save the search result listing to a file by going to RECOVER > SAVE SEARCH and store it as a .rsv file on another drive. You can reload it a later time (RECOVER > LOAD SEARCH) if you think the results so far are of value.

Now I would close the search - you may even want to shutdown and reboot to make sure all is well with your pc.

Now go to the Control Panel and check the power settings. Make sure that you set your hard drives to 'never' go to sleep. Also ensure that the USB settings do not power down the drive.

Once you had done this, plug the USB back in and listen to make sure you can hear it spin up and also that it is not making any strange noises.

Now I would suggest you run a new search, a 'Recover Drive' search on the hard disk (not the drive letter) and search in automated mode.

In the first sticky post of this forum is a link to a video where it will show you a technique for a drive recovery. Watch the "filesystem" records number, and when the Master File Table is found on the drive it will shoot up to a high number and remain stable. At this point you should be able to stop the search and recover the full file and folder structure.

Good luck.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Chickasaw is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    Bad sectors will definitely slow the search down - however your problem may be caused because the drive has powered down or gone to sleep...
    I'm having a similar problem with a nearly full 1 TB external HDD. Looks like the third pass will take about 400 hours. Last time I looked it said, "Files Found: 0 Scanning block 34,322,560 of 1,953,520,002 for lost files. 1,199,546 unreadable blocks)."

1. Can't access the drive through Windows Explorer: "The Parameter is Incorrect." Bummer.
    2. Computer Management screen lists the drive thus: "Disk 6 L: 931.51 GB RAW Healthy (Primary Partition)." HP diagnostics reports no problems with the PC. Vista running on a quad-processor machine.
    3. Drive is NTFS, unpartitioned.
    4. Power Management leaves computer and HDDs on continuously. Also, HDD light flashes like there is always activity and the numbers keep incrementing on the Recover My Files window.
    5. All of the panes in the RMF window are empty.

Should I just let it continue running minimized?

Thanks.
    Chick

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

It does not sound like it is reading your drive. Please click on the live support icon on the top right hand corner of this page to start a chat and ask for me and I will try and help you.

thank you.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread