+ Reply to Thread

Damaged files (?)

This is a discussion on Damaged files (?) within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I am having an issue with a lot of files, particularly the following: PDF files - "There was an error ...

Premium_Lager is offline Junior Member

Default Damaged files (?)

I am having an issue with a lot of files, particularly the following:
    • PDF files - "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired";
    • Microsoft Word documents - "Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt" (the self help options did not repair the file either);
    • Powerpoint files - most, if not all, simply won't open; and
    • Jpeg images - there are big grey blocks covering the lower portions of the images.
    The content of the files appear to still be there (judging by the file size).

Is there any reason why they become corrupted/inaccessible?

What can I do to fix them?
    Last edited by Premium_Lager; 02-23-2011 at 07:16 PM.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Change the extension on these files to .txt and open them with notepad. What do you see? Do the files contain data? or are they blank?

Do the PDF files start with a "PDF" header? Can you see the JPEG JFIF or EXIF header near the top of these files? Can you see text in the doc files?
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Premium_Lager is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    Hi,

Change the extension on these files to .txt and open them with notepad. What do you see? Do the files contain data? or are they blank?
    I am not sure what you mean by "change the extension".

If you mean for me to open the files as text files (.txt), I tried this with the Word documents and PDF files - it was all just gibberish, incomprehensible data; and lots of it. I assume, though, it means the data is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    Do the PDF files start with a "PDF" header? Can you see the JPEG JFIF or EXIF header near the top of these files? Can you see text in the doc files?
    The file properties for the PDF files indicate that it is a PDF file type (.pdf).

The file properties for the other files also show the following:

Word documents - (.doc)
    Images - (.jpg)
    Powerpoint - (.ppt)
    Last edited by Premium_Lager; 03-01-2011 at 03:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread