+ Reply to Thread

how do i recover a corrupted PSP memory stick?

This is a discussion on how do i recover a corrupted PSP memory stick? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi there, I have a memory stick pro duo by sandisk. i used it for my playstation portable gaming device. ...

sludge13 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy how do i recover a corrupted PSP memory stick?

Hi there,

I have a memory stick pro duo by sandisk. i used it for my playstation portable gaming device. few weeks ago i accidently dropped the psp while booting the psp on the carpet floor, enough impact for the MS to somehow eject itself out! then the memory stick could not be detected. it can however detect my old memory stick.

both my psp and my laptop is asking me to format the memory stick to be readable, i'm presuming it's gone corrupted.

I have tried 'recover my files' but it could detected anything but 2 folders of which the search results are empty anyway. i have also read the guides on the website, still didnt work.

i then discovered this:
    How to Recover Data From a Corrupted Memory Stick | eHow.com

on this site, it suggest to first format the MS and then use 'recover my files' to retrieve lost data.

i have several game save data that i have spent hours playing, i want to recover those files back. i wouldnt mind giving the format trick a go but i dont want to risk overwriting my data and lose it forever. but as the software is meant to recover lost data, it might just work.

another issue i have is that the the save data uses seperate files of .bin, .sfo and .png (for pictures), the former two is not listed in the format of files in the drag down list in the software.

1) would u also recommend the same, i.e to format the MS first and then recover my files? if yes, which format should i choose? NTFS or FAT? it says to use NTFS but i checked my second psp MS which was formatted by psp device itself and it uses FAT

2)if you don't agree with the website, how else can i retrieve them?

thank you, if i can get this right, i'll definitely purchase the software.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

You memory stick may have physical damage.

Before you try anything, I would see if you can take an image of the stick - an image is an exact sector copy of the entire drive.

If you go to GetData Download Center: Data Recovery, File Repair and Windows Software you will find a program called ezyimager. Download and try that and save the image to a file on your pc call image.raw.

If it does not work, try a program called FTK Imager from Access Data.

If neither of these programs can image the physical drive, then it is likely it is damaged and cant be read. You might like to try formatting it after that - but I doubt that it will work.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread