+ Reply to Thread

Stopping and starting searches

This is a discussion on Stopping and starting searches within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi, I hope this is not too obvious, but I want to check that if I stop and start a ...

fuzzyduck is offline Junior Member

Default Stopping and starting searches

Hi,

I hope this is not too obvious, but I want to check that if I stop and start a search several times I presume all I need to do to 'move' along the drive is to keep moving the start point on by the number of blocks I have read in total?
    e.g. first start at 0 and stop after 1000, then start again at 1000 and stop after 1000, start again at 2000 and stop after 1000, start at 3000 etc: this represents moving along the drive in 1000 block units and will take 10 searches if there are 10000 blocks

I ask this because I have a drive that will take 65 days to run (looking for jpegs and CR2s only!) and I want to do it a bit at a time

Thanks

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Yes, the block counter always starts at zero, so your new starting point is "First search" + "Second search" + "Third search" = Starting point for 4th search.

If you drive is going to take that long, then something is seriously wrong! A search should never take more than 24 hours at the most.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

skachel is offline Junior Member

Default 1 TByte drive approaching 48 hours

Hi,
    I am running Recover my Files (version 3.1) and although it still appears to be running, I am nearly at 48 hours. You indicated it should never take more than 24 hours. Can I stop the recovery and move the files it has already found and then restart?

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Recover My Files v3.1 is about 6 years old. Click the update button to get the latest v3, or even better - upgrade to the latest v4 from Data Recovery Software to Undelete Files; Disk recovery; Recover Deleted Files
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Default Stopping

So if I stop it now to upgrade, will I be able to save the files it has recovered so far? It has identified 26682 files of various formats and if they are useable, I would like to grab them now, but do not know what will happen if I stop. I realize it is an older program because I bought it quite some time ago. Worked great last time, so I figured I would try it again without doing the upgrade.

Default V3 works better

Downloaded the V4 trial program figuring I would pay for the upgrade after it ran to see what it found. I was hoping that it would identify the partitions so that I would not need to hunt for every file. V4 did not find the partitions, or for that matter any of the files that the V3 version was identifying. I ended up stopping the V3 version and saving what it found after about 1.5 hours and got about 65% of my data back. If I let it run longer, the search slows down and when I stop it the files appear to all be corrupt. No idea why V4 would not find anything, but glad I never paid for the upgrade.

GDH

Default Data Recovery

It seems very odd. As an author of the program I can tell you that Recover My Files v4 is a much more powerful tool that then older version 3.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread