+ Reply to Thread

Why do HDDs go into RAW disk mode?

This is a discussion on Why do HDDs go into RAW disk mode? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; So I've had this happen to two disk drives in my professional experience. One was my personal Western Digital My ...

PetiePal is offline Junior Member

Default Why do HDDs go into RAW disk mode?

So I've had this happen to two disk drives in my professional experience. One was my personal Western Digital My Book 1TB, and another was an external USB drive.

Just curious why this happens? Is it because the drive suddenly lost power? A power surge? Faulty or beginning to die drive? Ghost in the machine?

Both drives were actually alright, after I did recoveries I basically was able to reformat them and they functioned perfectly again...

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

A RAW hard drive to a computer is just one big chunk of raw data. It means that your PC can no longer recognize a file system or partitions on the disk.

It can be caused by a whole heap of different reasons:
    • bad sectors at the start of a disk so the Master Boot Record and Volume Boot Record cannot be read
    • a virus, worm or trojan could destroy the MBR / VBR
    • a power surge on startup when this section of the disk is being read could cause a corruption
    • etc.

You should be able to get the data back from these situations by running a Recover Drive search on the disk with Recover My Files.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread