+ Reply to Thread

MFT Gone... Help!

This is a discussion on MFT Gone... Help! within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I have a 1TB WD external drive that the MFT has obviously corrupted by either disconnecting the drive too early ...

Architect is offline Junior Member

Exclamation MFT Gone... Help!

I have a 1TB WD external drive that the MFT has obviously corrupted by either disconnecting the drive too early or something similar. The drive is approximately 75% full and when I run a scan, it finds all of the files and builds the correct folder structure. A few questions here....

1) Do I need a duplicate 1TB external drive to "save" or transfer all of the files to, or is there a way to just rebuild or restore the MFT on the existing WD drive?

2) I tried to do a save or transfer of a few of the folders that contain files and it seems to be working, then all of a sudden I get a message that reads: "saving of the files finishes but 1 out of 145 had problems (of the 58099 selected). My question here is two fold. Does the program abort any further transfer after finding this error, because it doesn't seem to have transferred everything. And, if the program does abort, is there a way to disable this so it simply skips the problem file but transfers the remainder.

Obviously, if the answer to question 1 is that I can rebuild the MFT without getting a new 1TB drive and transferring nearly 1TB of files it would be great, and it would make my question #2 mute.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!!!

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in answering your post. It is a full time job keeping the spam out of this forum and your post got buried under it.

Recover My Files is a data recovery tool, not a drive repair tool. It is purposely designed so that it does not change the drive being searched.

There are programs out there that try an "fix" a drive - but you should be very cautious because they could easily do damage and make recovery more difficult.

In relation to the saving message, the program should still save all the other files ok - the error message just relates to the one file - are you able to see from the log the name of the problem file?
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread