+ Reply to Thread

How can i open my recovered files

This is a discussion on How can i open my recovered files within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; i JUST RECOVERED MY FILES,BUT ON THE PREVIEW I CANT SEE THEM I COPIED THEM TO E: THEN AGAIN TO ...

aslihan is offline Junior Member

Default How can i open my recovered files

i JUST RECOVERED MY FILES,BUT ON THE PREVIEW I CANT SEE THEM
    I COPIED THEM TO E: THEN AGAIN TO MY PC BUT CANNOT OPEN PICTURES OR VIDEOS..PLEASEE HELPPP

TimC is offline Junior Member

Smile extensions

The files may not have the filename extensions (which enable windows to recognise the type of file), or they may have the wrong extension. You might need to "guess" the type of file, and edit the extension on to the filename. To help you do this, in an explorer window, check under Tools > Folder Options... View (tab), UNCHECK the option "hide extensions for known file types". You should then be able to see the three character filename extension. You will then have to try and remember what sort of file each was, (hopefully the name of the file will remind you). Click the filename, then click again to edit it. After the filename, (delete the 'wrong' extension if necessary) type a dot (.) then the correct filename extension - for example, for a programme, put .exe, a Word file .doc, a bitmap image .bmp and so on. You should then be able to open the file.
    I hope this helps.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Change the extension of some saved files to .txt and then open them in notepad? What do you see? If the files are blank, it is an indication that the drive powered down or went to sleep before the files could be saved. You can also check this in the search results preview window by right clicking on the preview message and selecting to view as hex.

If this is the case, you should save the search listing to a file by selecting Recover > Save Search.

Then unplug the drive (it is most likely a USB), wait 10 seconds and then try and preview the files - once the preview you should be able to save them without any problem.

If this does not solve your problem, contact support@getdat.com and send 3 sample files that you cannot open.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread