+ Reply to Thread

Saved files from recovery are corrupted.

This is a discussion on Saved files from recovery are corrupted. within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi, Windows 7 displayed error message when Seagate HDD is connected to Laptop "Scan and Fix errors". When clicked 'Yes' ...

sheshadripv is offline Junior Member

Default Saved files from recovery are corrupted.

Hi,

Windows 7 displayed error message when Seagate HDD is connected to Laptop "Scan and Fix errors". When clicked 'Yes' it made the HDD unusable after scanning and fixing the errors.

However RecoverMyFiles shows all my files intact and showed the entire folder structure. I could able to preview images and also play one of restored videos.

I purchased a standard licence and I tried to recover the entire directory. After the entire folder structure recovery and saving the folder structure to different hard disk, all the files are corrupted. My question is, Do I need to recover file by file. Or is it because files are not finalized or something like that? because the file sizes are correct.

I have all Family Video and Photos (precious) Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Sheshadri

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

If you could preview the files in the search results window then you should be able to save them without any problems. The most likely explanation is that the drive has powered down during the save process.

Take some of the files that you saved, change the extension of the files to .txt and open them with notepad so that you can see the content (or you could also download a free hex editor to do this). What do you see? I suspect the files will be blank i.e. they have been saved with all zeros.

If this is the case the save your current search results to a .rsv file by selecting Recover > Save Search. Now close Recover My Files, then unplug and replug the drive. Make sure you can hear it spinning. You can also go into the Windows Control Panel and set the Power options to make sure that hard drive and usb devices are not set to go to sleep or suspend.

Once the drive is powered up again, load your search results by selecting Recover > Load search. Then save a sample file and check to make sure it opens correctly.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

darrengunn is offline Junior Member

Hi I have the same problem with a WD external hard drive, Win7 could not see the drive at all but XP saw it as corrupt, it took several hours for recovery but most of the files were reportedly recovered and they all had the correct file sizes.

I just cant open them it says they have the wrong file extension

Kimikazi is offline Junior Member

Default I'll join this Choir of Corrupt Files.

Same thing, using Windows 7, everything looks fine, pulls associated program then each states corrupt or missing file extension. It's all there, I just can't do anything with.

I just noticed a message about installing and running as Adminstrator. I'm not positive I did that, could that be an issue?

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Yes, you should always run data recovery software as administrator because low level disk access rights are required to scan the unallocated clusters of a disk.

In the Recover My Files results window, right click on the preview error message and select "view as hex" - what do you see? do the files contain data? do they look like they have a valid header for the file type?
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread