+ Reply to Thread

Using recover my files to scan a HD..will take days?

This is a discussion on Using recover my files to scan a HD..will take days? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Greetings, I have a seagate HD that is around 500Gig in size that was running windows vista. We had a ...

rusty37 is offline Junior Member

Default Using recover my files to scan a HD..will take days?

Greetings,
    I have a seagate HD that is around 500Gig in size that was running windows vista. We had a power outage and upon power up the drive would not boot, boot manager seemed corrupted and I could not repair it. I booted the computer from a 2nd HD running windows XP. When looking at the "my computer" window the damaged drive does show up with a letter, but clicking on it does not show any files.
    I first tried a program called recova, it scanned the damaged drive and came back listing what looked like most if not all of my files including their directories. I was not able to use the program to recover the files but they do list so I figure the data is there and the HD is not physically damaged.
    Today I downloaded recover my files to see if this program would work. I selected the "recover a hard drive" option since my HD may be corrupted and I did not know if searching for files alone would work.
    Currently the program is scanning the drive, it has to scan over 750,000,000 sectors and is running at about 50,000,000 every 8 hours. At this rate this will take days to scan, does this sound right?
    Also did I do the right thing selecting to restore the drive, or should I have tried restoring the files option? I am not looking for deleted files, only trying to get my files off the crashed drive.
    Last question..while scanning it is not showing any files found on the counter at the top left. Does it list all the files at the end of the scan or should it be counting as it runs? No files so far after scanning over 50,000,000 sectors.

Thanks for any help!

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

You do not need to scan all the way to the end of the drive. Follow the instructions and watch the video here:

Recover a Formatted Drive with Recover My Files v4

to learn how to recover your drive.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread