+ Reply to Thread

Complete PC restore/Factory default

This is a discussion on Complete PC restore/Factory default within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; This might be a silly question, but I'm slightly confused, and hopefully someone can help. Recently I performed a System ...

ChrisAC is offline Junior Member

Default Complete PC restore/Factory default

This might be a silly question, but I'm slightly confused, and hopefully someone can help.

Recently I performed a System Restore to an earlier point, and I used Recover My Files to get all my data back, and everything worked great. But now my computer has gone wrong again, and this time I can't seem to perform a System Restore.

In effect, I might have to reinstall Windows/Complete PC restore, or use discs to put the PC back to the factory settings.

Will these restorations genuinely 'wipe' my computer clean, and make Recover My Files ineffective, or will it work in the same way that the other did, and I'll be able to find the files in a partition on the computer, in a place where they would be waiting to be written over?

In other words: can you ever really wipe a computer clean with a factory restore? I'm scared that it will.

Thanks if you can help!

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

If the data is important to you then the best rule to follow is Do NOT write new data to the drive.

When you write new data to the drive, the new data may to land on top of the old data and permanently erase it.

The best methodology to follow, if possible, is to connect this problem drive to another computer as a secondary drive (the easiest and most flexible way to do this is to put the drive into a usb case - they are relatively cheap and any computer shop should have one). This means that you can then install Recover My Files (http://download.getdata.com/RecoverMyFiles-Setup.exe) on the C: drive of the computer and use it to scan the problem drive.

Using this technique, you have not changed any data on the drive, and there is very little chance that Windows (or you) will accidentally write new data to the problem drive.

Once you are happy that you have got all the files off the drive and they are safe and sound, then you can proceed with your format / re installation.

Good luck.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread