+ Reply to Thread

Where Are My Files???

This is a discussion on Where Are My Files??? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi I mistakenly deleted my Maxtor OneTouch III external HD and tried to recover tons of music, photos and documents. ...

acrostic is offline Junior Member

Default Where Are My Files???

Hi

I mistakenly deleted my Maxtor OneTouch III external HD and tried to recover tons of music, photos and documents. My recovery scan results seemed fine with file structure maintained. However I noticed that when I tried to preview my files (photos, docs, pdf etc) I am getting the message "preview not available for this file type" even though the correct file extensions are there. Also, if I save the files to C:, neither adobe, excel, nor word can access the file. Further, I am unable to recover, preview or play a single music file. Please help me retrieve music and photos!!!!

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hello
    It is likely that you are saving blank files. You can see this yourself by changing the file extension to .txt and opening the files in notepad.

This problem is caused by a USB drive falling asleep or a drive disconnecting prior to the software being asked to save the files. Most USB devices operate in a power saving mode where they switch off if they are not used for a preset period of time. If the drive was asleep, Recover My Files has not been able to wake it up to correctly before trying to read and save the data.

The first thing you should do is save your current search listing to a file. To do this, in the top text menu of the main program screen select "Recover > Save Search". This will save the search results into a file with the extension .rsv. You must save this file to another drive.

Now close Recover My Files and disconnect the USB drive from your computer. Wait 30 seconds, then reconnect the drive. You should hear the drive power up, the lights flash and Windows should give you an indication that a new device has been connected.

Now run Recover My Files. Close down the first wizard window and then go to the top menu of the program and select "Recover > Load Search", select your saved .rsv file and reload the search results.

You should now be able to expand the search results (click on the + signs to expand the folders) and click on individual files to preview them in the search results window.

Now that your drive is awake and Recover My Files can preview the files in the search results screen, you should be able to save them without any problem. Save a small batch of JPEG files and test that they open OK.

You can address the power issue by changing the drive power settings in the Windows Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > and make sure that the 'Hard Disk' are set to "Never" power down, and that the 'Sleep' and 'USB Suspend' settings are not enabled.

Thank you.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

acrostic is offline Junior Member

Hello GDH:

I followed your instructions and noticed that I am still unable to preview files. One thing that is worth mentioning is upon selecting a file to preview, the bottom window where Property-Value is located does not correctly indicate the file type. Even if the file extension is specific to the file selected, the property value indicates that the file is "unknown" or of another type. For example, if I select a PDF, .DOC or .JPG file from the drop-down list to the left with the correct file extension. The property value displays this file as either "unknown" file type or as an ".MP3" file. Eventhough the file name, file extension, and file size indicates that it is a known file and not an .MP3.

Also, in the recovered file type list, there are no music (.mp3) files listed. I should have a few thousand songs.

Please provide any assistance!!!

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

The best way for me to help you will be to chat. Click on the live support button in the top right hand corner of this page and ask for me - if I am not there they should be able to tell you when I will be online.

thanks
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread