+ Reply to Thread

Recovered Quickbook and MSWord files are corrupted

This is a discussion on Recovered Quickbook and MSWord files are corrupted within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Kaspersky Rescue Disk wrecked my 500GB RAID 1 Array while getting rid of some vicious malware on my XP Pro ...

Bovis is offline Junior Member

Default Recovered Quickbook and MSWord files are corrupted

Kaspersky Rescue Disk wrecked my 500GB RAID 1 Array while getting rid of some vicious malware on my XP Pro sp2 system. I removed one of the mirrored drives and connected it to another PC running Windows7 64-bit. I installed Recover My Files v.4 Professional and scanned the drive. After shelling out $99 for an activation code I saved files to a 500GB external USB drive. When I try to open the saved files in the XP Pro system, PDF files are intact, but the Quickbooks Pro 2008 files will not open. When I try to open MSWord documents I receive a message that states, " "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632." I click ok and message displays again, hit ok again and the document opens as undecipherable gibberish.

I have been through this process three times over the last three days. (Not much of a way to celebrate Independence Day.) I desperately need these files.

Any help is welcome.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Are you sure that it is a mirrored raid without any striping?

Do you know if the drive you are looking at is drive 1 or 2 in the riad?

Are the doc files .doc or .docx? How large are they?

Try running a "Recover Drive" search on the "hard disk" (not the drive letter) and search in automated mode. After 20 minutes or so, has the file system records number gone up to a high number and is now stable? If so, stop the search and the virtual file system will show your files in the results screen - can you click on the doc files and preview their content?
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

I am not certain about specifics of the RAID array. I used a utility that presented itself before Windows loaded.

I do not know which drive I am working with.

The Word documents are .doc. Size varies, from one page to less than twenty pages.

I performed a search on the hard drive and not the logical drive.

I can reload the saved search tomorrow afternoon (EST) to see if I can open the Word docs within the recovery software.

Thanks for the response. I will try again and let you know what I see.

td
    Last edited by Bovis; 07-09-2011 at 12:14 PM.

"Try running a "Recover Drive" search on the "hard disk" (not the drive letter) and search in automated mode. After 20 minutes or so, has the file system records number gone up to a high number and is now stable? If so, stop the search and the virtual file system will show your files in the results screen - can you click on the doc files and preview their content? "

Did as suggested. When I try to preview MSWord Document I get a "Preview not available for this file type" and some of them are described as MP3 FILES.

"Are the doc files .doc or .docx? How large are they?"

MSWord files are definitely .doc files. They range from 3kb to 632kb.

I had inititially removed the drive from an XP system and connected it to a Windows 7 system to perform scan. For this last scan I put the drive back into the XP system and ran Recover My Files software from a flash drive.

Could the fact that the RAID 1 array was running on XP sp2 and the rebuilt XP system is now running service pack 3 have anything to do with my problems?

I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by Bovis; 07-09-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: More info

+ Reply to Thread