+ Reply to Thread

Path too long

This is a discussion on Path too long within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I was able to recover over 100 DSS voice files from a corrupt Xd picture card using the drive recovery ...

aljswise is offline Junior Member

Default Path too long

I was able to recover over 100 DSS voice files from a corrupt Xd picture card using the drive recovery tool, but when I try to save them, I started getting got a "path too long" message error. The files themselves are in the folder structure (Drive/virtual Fat Partition @128/DSS_FLA/file name, which I know gets replicated while saving. Any way, every file saved was getting the error message so I stopped the saving process. What limit is there to the path? I am thinking of saving directly to the c: drive to avoid the path problem rather than a subfolder in the My Documents folder. See any problems with that?

Thanks
    Steve

Update
    I went ahead and changed the location for saving directly to the c: drive to avoid the path problem rather than a subfolder in the My Documents folder because it only made sense. I am only on 21 of 127 files after about an hour (this will take some time), but for each of these files, I still get the "path too long" error. I assume that means when the saving is over and the problem persists for the other files, no files actually will be saved. Is that right? If so, is there are different saving settings I should use? This does not make sense because the saving path displayed on the report tab is only 50 characters long.
    Last edited by aljswise; 07-13-2011 at 08:28 AM.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

This sounds a bit odd. The path too long message relates to a specific folder in a path (not the entire path). The limit for a folder is 256 char (unicode).

More information is available from Microsoft here: PRB: Path Limit Is 260 Bytes, Not Characters

In your case, it sounds like something strange is happening. I suggest you send a screen shot to support@getdata.com showing all the information you can and this may shed some more light on the situation.

Thank you.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

aljswise is offline Junior Member

Default Path too long

Yes, it is strange as the actual file names are all something like E 0204.dss, E 0205.dss, etc.

The first time I did the recovery, I did Automatic drive recovery. I recovered about 21 files and was able to save them no problem, but I knew there were lots more files on the card.

Since the corrupt card is an xD card with almost exclusively DSS files on it, the second time I did the Drive recovery using selected file types with DSS as the files to locate. This time, it recovered all 125 or so files in their original folder structure. There were about 180MB of files I tried to save using the default save options but afterward when it got to the end of the saving process for all 127 files, it said that no files saved because of the path too long issue.

Whenever the RMF program is running accessing this xD card, the computer I am using for this is basically locked up and I can’t check Windows Explorer. The card is flaky and corrupt. Sometimes the drive letter shows up, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it say it is unreadable so I hate to close the program to check anything because I am concerned I won’t get the same results again with another search. I understand that in theory as long as nothing else is written to the drive I should get the same results if I run Recover My Files again. I should probably just close RMF and maybe the files saved despite the path too long message.
    Last edited by aljswise; 07-13-2011 at 08:50 PM.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

It sounds like the card is on the way out.

I would try and get an image of the card as soon as you can. Please try GetData Forensic Imager. Acquire, convert or verify EnCase, DD or AFF format image files ..
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread