+ Reply to Thread

Can I activate without restarting scan or computer?

This is a discussion on Can I activate without restarting scan or computer? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I have a "crashed" hard drive that is old. PATA 133 old. It was in an old gateway that crashed ...

duckredbeard is offline Junior Member

Default Can I activate without restarting scan or computer?

I have a "crashed" hard drive that is old. PATA 133 old. It was in an old gateway that crashed a few years ago. It was our primary PC for about 4 years, so it had many photos and documents that are of value. I am glad this software was able to find the files and may help me recover them.

Here is the problem, though. I tried to connect the drive directly to the IDE ribbon cable. That position is usually occupied by a functioning IDE drive, accessed every few days. It has no slave/master jumper configuration. I assumed that is how I should set up the old drive that I'm trying to salvage. Upon reboot, the PC did not see it. Disk management saw it, as "Unknown" but it never showed up as a drive letter. I then used an external adapter, which basically converts it to USB connectivity. It took some tricky tactics to get the PC to see it. I think it was the "Connect the USB cable while the external adapter is powered off then plug in the power cord and hold one hand up high with your eyes closed" trick that got it to work. It commenced a file search just fine, it found all the files I'd like to extract. With IDE going to USB 2.0, it took about 4 days to do all the scans and it petered out at about 101700 files. This looks good.

Now...if I do a product activation, will I have to reboot the PC? Will I have to restart the program? Since it took so long to find the files, and I hardly trust the drive to produce results again. I'd like to activate on the fly, while the search is still showing the results of the current scan.

Will I be able to activate RecoverMyFiles 4.7.2 (11997) without rebooting or restarting the software?

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default data recovery

Hi,

Yes, you can activate at any time via the top text menu "Help > Activate Product".

At the end of the search I suggest you save the search results to a file - this way, for some reason you need to reboot, you can load the search results without having to do a new one.

To save, select "Recover > Save Search" (saves to a .rsv file) and to load "Recover > Load Search".

Your search sounds like it ran way to long - you should be able to do a drive recovery in a matter of hours not days. Have a look at the first sticky post in this forum and watch the video to see how.

Good luck.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

I had good search results, but while waiting for your reply our power went out for a moment. The PC rebooted and I lost my scan results. Now I cannot get the PC or your software to recognize the drive. Cannot get anything.

I am going to replace the PCB on the drive, hope that is the issue. It isn't even spinning when I connect power.

I have replaced the PCB of the drive ($5+12 on Ebay) and it is now scanning. After 15 hours, it is still "Searching 11162 of 14940 locations for lost partitions". I have no problem with the long scan time. It seems to be progressing. I am optimistic, as the previous scan took a long time, but it was productive.

When the search is complete, how large should I expect the .rsv file to be for a 120GB drive? I am not sure how full it was when it crashed, so assume it was full.

Once this recovery is complete, and if all files are recovered, will this software allow me to recreate (clone) the original drive and revive the PC? I am more interested in recovering the documents and images, but a revival of the PC would be sweet.

+ Reply to Thread