+ Reply to Thread

Unknown, not initialized unallocated harddrive

This is a discussion on Unknown, not initialized unallocated harddrive within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I have two hard drives that i need to retrieve data from but the computer reads it as: Unknown, not ...

Joseg97 is offline Junior Member

Default Unknown, not initialized unallocated harddrive

I have two hard drives that i need to retrieve data from but the computer reads it as:
    Unknown, not initialized unallocated and it shows as having 134217728.00 GB
    Both HD's actual capacity is 500gb each.

i tried using the recovermyfiles software and left it running last night and until this morning it was still searching for files and didn't find any files. It seems that there is something there but the system can't seem to find it.

can anyone help me understand what this means?

what would be the best way to recover my files?
    Last edited by Joseg97; 07-20-2011 at 06:39 AM.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

The problem is that your disk is not initialized. This means that your computer cannot communicate with it. Unless you can get this status to change you will not be able to use data recovery software.

Normally we advise users to avoid writing to a disk in any way - however with an "not initialized" disk you have very little choice.

If you go into Windows Disk Management and right click near this message you will see the option to "initialize disk". This will write a small amount of data, a Master Boot Record (MBR) to the start of the disk. Once this is done, it will then allow your computer to communicate with the disk and you can use Recover My Files to recover your data.

However, in many instances, the initialize disk function will return message such as an I/O error. This is an indication that you hard drive has physical errors and probably your only hope from this point is a good hardware recovery service.

Good luck.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread