+ Reply to Thread

What is the definition of "lost" files? Will this work for my situation?

This is a discussion on What is the definition of "lost" files? Will this work for my situation? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I'm trying to determine if this software can help us. My friend is using 32-bit Windows 7. He was dragging ...

yeezer1 is offline Junior Member

Default What is the definition of "lost" files? Will this work for my situation?

I'm trying to determine if this software can help us. My friend is using 32-bit Windows 7. He was dragging a folder called "TurboTax" that contained many years' worth of TurboTax files to a new location, and Windows seems to have lost a pointer to it, because it's now nowhere on the computer. We did a search through the whole computer and looked in the recycle bin.

Since this doesn't fall under the deleted or formatted category, should this software still be able to help us?

Also, in looking at your demo version, you have TurboTax as extension .tax. The later years used the years in the extension like .tax2009 and .tax2010. Would this software still be able to find those?

Thanks for any direction.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

The files still may be "deleted" - meaning that the Windows File System may still hold an entry in the Master File Table for the file. You can try running a "Recover Files" search on the drive letter and you may find the files this way with their original name and location.

A "Lost File" is one where the Windows File System no longer has a record of the file, so the only way to find it is by the header and footer of the file. These are called "Lost Files" because the name of the file is not stored with the file data itself.

In order to search for Lost Files these files we need to know detailed information about the file structure, in order to recognize it on the disk. If more recent versions of Turbo Tax have changed the file structure (not the extension) then we may not find it. We have not updated TurboTax for some time, so if you have some sample files from 2009, 2010 or 2011 and you can send them to us at support@getdata.com we should be able to add them relatively quickly.

thank you.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread