+ Reply to Thread

Recovering data from hard drive of non-bootable PC

This is a discussion on Recovering data from hard drive of non-bootable PC within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I'm unclear from the FAQs whether RecoverMyFiles can be used to recover files on a hard drive that won't boot ...

PeterRH is offline Junior Member

Default Recovering data from hard drive of non-bootable PC

I'm unclear from the FAQs whether RecoverMyFiles can be used to recover files on a hard drive that won't boot up with Windows, without transferring the hard drive to be a slave on a working machine. I can enter the Microsoft Recovery Console and chkdsk stops after 33% with message 'The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems'. If I run Hard Drive Diagnostics from the Boot Device Menu I get the message 'Drive 0: Maxtor 6Y160M0 - Fail. Return Code: 7'.

Can the auto-run CD version be used in the CD drive of the faulty PC to read the hard drive? If so can I save recovered files to a USB key drive?

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Recover My Files needs Windows to run. It relies on Windows to get access to the drive.

The best option is to connect the problem drive to another computer as a secondary drive.

A possible option is to search Google.com for a "boot cd". This will allow you to boot into Windows and then load programs into memory, like Recover My Files. Make sure you find one from a trusted source - we dont generally use them because you never know exactly what they are doing to your pc.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

PeterRH is offline Junior Member

Default Data recovery

Thanks. I need to replace my hard drive anyway so will install old drive as slave.

+ Reply to Thread