+ Reply to Thread

hello, - i really need some tips on what to do . more complex than the recycle bin.

This is a discussion on hello, - i really need some tips on what to do . more complex than the recycle bin. within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; hey, first off i just want to say hi and i will appreciate and feedback. im a pc tech but ...

dmremixed is offline Junior Member

Default hello, - i really need some tips on what to do . more complex than the recycle bin.

hey, first off i just want to say hi and i will appreciate and feedback. im a pc tech but as for data recovery, it only goes so far.

my dads friend was writing a book. he has 6 novels so far.

anyhow the other day while writing he did the dreaded ctrl-c then any key after that must have deleted his things.

problem is that he is now dealing with a blank document. since it was saved, 22kb of nothing, its not a recycle bin matter. its just gone although hes been working on it for a few months.

yesterday i went over, tried almost every prog under the sun. at first i tried a sys restore, it didn't get me anywhere. it actually won't restore to an earlier point right now.

since its not on another partition, or permanently deleted (because the .doc is still there with the same file name but empty now) i'm not sure what to do.

i used doc regenerator and was able to get 10 pages out of 80....

now i know, a hd can;t be erased unless you wipe it out with a huge magnet or the microwave. his data must still be there because he was obviously saving everyday. just that one day he hit ctrl-c and then anything other key would have caused the delete. but that file still sits there, in hope...

his hd has 2 partitions, secondly obviously being D:

i don't want him to send it to a manufacturer yet, cuz if i could find 10 pages of it then i should be able to get all of it back.

any tips? should i delete the exsisting blank document with is 22kb?

i mean really, where do i go from here.

yesterday since i was able to get 10 pages out of 80+ i figure the rest has to be there somewhere...

so my questions in short are this:

1_ should i delete the empty doc that hes sorta hoping will come back

2_ sys restore isnt giving me anything

3_ what prog should i use, or would be reccomended because im a good pc tech, i can partition, do whatever is necessary to find this file...

hes been saving it day by day obviously so it has to be there, if i found some of it, all of it has to be there.

i appreciate any feedback, and thanks in advance.

d.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

First of all you should minimize writing any new data to the drive. New data will overwrite and destroy deleted data and reduce your chance of recovery.

Your best option, if possible and practical, is to remove the drive and connect it to another computer as a secondary drive. This means that you, or Windows, are unlikely to try and write any new data to the drive.

Download Recover My Files from Data Recovery Software to Undelete Files; Disk recovery; Recover Deleted Files. I suggest you run a "Recover Drive" search on the "hard disk" (not the drive letter) for the .doc (or was it .docx?) file type.

This search is designed to find all files on the drive, not just those that are deleted. It is important because you may find the entire file as a temp file.

Once the search has finished, go to File Type view in the search results screen and then look a the .doc files found. Click on the column heading to sort by size. If it is a .doc file, then you should be able to preview the content when you click on the file. If you can read the document in the preview window, then you know it has been found and can purchase a key and save the file.

Good luck.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread