+ Reply to Thread

Any way to speed up the process

This is a discussion on Any way to speed up the process within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; We have a 500GB WD hard drive that managed to get some sort of error that triggered the Windows 7 ...

pithed2 is offline Junior Member

Default Any way to speed up the process

We have a 500GB WD hard drive that managed to get some sort of error that triggered the Windows 7 Startup Repair to fire. It looped through that about 4 times before we tried diagnostics and repairing the issue. After creating a local backup (took several hours), it stated that we had to back up to 66 dvd's. Not wanting to do this (rather wanted to connect to an external HD) I hit cancel. It immediately started reformatting the drive. I killed it as soon as I could, but it was crap.

I took the drive out and have it connected to another pc. The drive shows up, but doesn't show any data. Using this software, after a day and a half of processing, it finally got to a point of being able to recover stuff. I had my wife go through and select the jpg's she wanted to recover. It never asked WHERE to put them. We figured it would ask us once it got to that point. From there it hung and was unresponsive for 10 hours. So I killed the process.

I'm not starting it up again, but I'd really rather not have to have it process 1.9 billion blocks if I can help it.

Anyway to speed it up? Anyway to push the recovered data to an external drive rather than local or CD?

Thanks!

Andy

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

You should be able to recover your files within 2 or 3 hours. Please go to this webpage and watch the short video on drive recovery:

Hard Drive Data Recovery: Data Recovery Screen Shots

Here is some information on how to save files with Recover My Files:

SAVING FILES WITH RECOVER MY FILES

You must save the files to another drive. Recover My Files is designed specifically not to write data to the drive being searched so that the deleted files are not accidentally overwritten and destroyed.

You can save files to another drive letter on the same drive, a separate hard drive, a USB, thumb/pen drive, CD or DVD (click the drop down arrow next to the save files button) or a network drive.

WHAT SHOULD I SAVE

Recover My Files is designed to get back your created photos, documents, music etc. Select and save the files that are most important to you. Remember;

* There is no point saving gigabytes of Windows System files that will be worthless to you and it will just slow the saving process down;

* Rather than trying to recover and save software programs, it is better to reinstall software programs from the original disks or installation files to be sure the integrity of their registry settings etc;

* Start by saving only a small quantity of files. Windows will not like it if you try and save 200gb of files at once! Once you save a small sample of files, go to the drive on which the files are saved and open and test them to make sure they are complete and there are no saving problems.

HOW TO SELECT FILES TO BE SAVED

A File: To select a file to be saved, in the search results screen place a tick in the box next to the file.

A Folder: To select a folder to be saved, place a tick in the box next to the folder, and all files within the sub folders will automatically be selected.

A Group of Files: To select groups of files, hold down the SHIFT or CTRL key, highlight the files with your mouse, and then press the SPACE BAR to turn the selection ticks on (or off).

HOW MUCH SPACE DO I NEED?

In the grey bar at the very bottom of the search results widow, you can see how many files have selected and the total volume of those files.

SAVE v's SAVE AS

Clicking the SAVE button will save all selected (ticked) files.
    Clicking the SAVE AS (drop down arrow next to the SAVE button) will prompt you for the new file name of each file to be saved.

WHAT WILL THE FILES LOOK LIKE WHEN THEY ARE SAVED?

If you are saving files from "Folder View" the files that are saved will have same file names and folder structure that you see in the "Folder View" window.

If you are saving files from "File Type View" the files that are saved will have same file names and folder structure that you see in the "File Type View" window.

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I SAVE THE FILES?

As a file is saved, the tick is removed from the selection box. The results stay in the search window.

CAN I SAVE THE SEARCH RESULTS AND RELOAD THEM AT A LATER TIME

In Recover My Files v4, you can save the search results into a file. In the text menu at the top of the program select "Recover > Save Search" and save the search results file to another drive.

It is important to remember that your as saving a listing of the search results only. If the content of the drive subsequently changes (i.e. new data is written to the disk), this may overwrite and destroy some of the deleted files and the saved search results may no longer be valid. If you plan to reload the search at a later time, minimize the use of the drive in the interim.

To load the search results at a later time, select "Recover > Load Search".
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread