+ Reply to Thread

Recovering a .flkb file

This is a discussion on Recovering a .flkb file within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi, I am wondering if its possible to recover a file using Recover My Files, with the extension .flkb? Is ...

pvpkiller is offline Junior Member

Default Recovering a .flkb file

Hi, I am wondering if its possible to recover a file using Recover My Files, with the extension .flkb? Is there a way to do this, or is it only possible to look for the built in file extensions? If there is a way to search for .flkb extensions, please tell me, thanks!

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data recovery

Hi,

It depends how it was lost.

If it was deleted (and emptied from Recycle bin) then run a "Recover Files" search for deleted files and you may find it in the original folder structure under the folder tab in the search results screen.

If you lost it because you formatted an entire drive, or had some other drive problem, then you can get it back with a Recover Drive search.

The file types in the list are the ones found by the header and the footer of the file type. We would need to reverse engineer the file type and add it to the list before this could be supported.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Default oh

Wait, so does that mean if I do a file recovery it wont be found because of the file extension or that it will? Either way, I will try both methods you suggested. And, yes, the file was deleted, but because it was 300gb, it didn't go to the recycle bin, but got directly deleted.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

Where you delete a file, there is still a record of it held by Windows in the Master File Table (MFT) or File Allocation Table (if it is a FAT formatted drive). The record points to the location of the file on the disk. If you can get to this record before it is reused (i.e. overwritten by a new entry and destroyed) then you will see the file under folder view of the search results screen.

If this record has been destroyed, then the file will no longer show up under folder view as a deleted file. The only way to find it in this situation, is to search for the exact file type - which is were we need to know the file structure to look for the header and footer on the disk. This method is problematic with large files because they are usually stored fragmented over the disk and because this information was only held in the file system record, there is no longer any way to track all parts of the file and put it back together.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Default I see

Thanks for the reply. I will clarify the situation a bit more. I had the .flkb file in an external hard drive, and it was deleted, but it didn't go to the recycle bin. I than right clicked, and pressed "undo delete" but the file didn't come back. In this situation, should I use recover files option, and search for deleted files, then search for lost files? If I choose that option, and I select all of the file formats available, would it find the .flkb file?

+ Reply to Thread