+ Reply to Thread

Recovery from RAW disk - all files corrupted

This is a discussion on Recovery from RAW disk - all files corrupted within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi, having a problem recovering my files from a disk that shows up as RAW. I ran the disk recovery ...

khaydin is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Recovery from RAW disk - all files corrupted

Hi, having a problem recovering my files from a disk that shows up as RAW. I ran the disk recovery and used the automatic option. It shows all the files I want but the weird thing is that it shows a file with the same name listed several times. I've tried restoring all the files but the program that they work with will not open any of them. I've restored some text files and they're filled with seemingly random characters. I'm mostly trying to get back a bunch of files that end in a .hex extension. All the files I want show up in the search but are useless after saving them.

Here's what happened:

I use a macbook pro and dual boot mac osx and Windows 7. Originally I had two partitions (and whatever hidden partitions each creates), one for Mac OSX, and one for Windows 7. Recently I decided to upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard. After the upgrade my Windows 7 Partition is no longer accessible, all disk utilities show it as RAW. The Lion upgrade actually created a new recovery partition which is located between my mac osx and windows 7 partition, not sure which one it took the space from to create it. All I know is the Windows 7 one is RAW now and OSX works fine.

As soon as that happened I removed the drive from the macbook pro and installed it as a secondary harddrive on another windows computer I have, it is connected with a SATA->USB adapter. I have not made any changes or wrote any files to the drive since removing it. Rescue My Files (v4.9.4) is the only thing that been used on it.

Something else that may be of note... In the folder tab where it displays what it found it says it found 3 FAT partitions and 3 NTFS partitions when I only told it to scan 1 partition (windows labeled it K:, drive is still RAW - has not been formated) and there was only 1 partition there to begin with.

Is there a way to convert the files that Recover My Files find into something that's not corrupted? It almost seems like if all the files of the same name it finds are combined it would make a non-corrupt file.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

The first thing to test is to see if your data is actually still on the drive. After that, we can see if it is possible to recover the entire file and folder structure.

Before you start, make sure the problem RAW hard drive always has full power. To do this, go into the Windows Control Panel, and in the Power Options, change to the Advanced power setting, the edit the settings and make sure the hard disk option is set so that it will "never" power down and that the USB suspend settings (if your RAW drive is connected via USB) and sleep options are set to off.

Then please do the following:

1. Make sure you are using the latest version of Recover My Files available at http://download.getdata.com/RecoverMyFiles-Setup.exe

2. Run the program and close down the wizard window.

3. Click on the OPTIONS button and go to the ADVANCED tab. In the ADVANCED tab put a tick in the box from "run a lost files search only" and "search the entire drive...". Click OK to save the opitons.

4. Now click on the Start Recovery button to start a new search.

5. Select the Recover Drive search.

6. In the drive selection window, click on the physical disk. Click next.

7. Select two or three file types that you know were on the drive. The best are JPEG, BMP, DOC etc. because they give you a preivew in the search results screen.

8. Start search.

What this search will do is run down the drive an look for "Lost Files". This means that it is not using the file system records, but search specifically for the unique header and footer of each file type (e.g. a JPEG file always starts and ends the same way). So what you should see in the search results screen are "Lost Files" and when you click them (during the search process) they will preview. This is a sequential search down the disk so you should start finding these files quite quickly, e.g. in the first 10 minutes or 20mil blocks.

If you can click on a Lost File and preview its contents then you know your data is there. If you dont find any lost files, then sometihng odd is going on.

If you let me know the result I can give you further instructions.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

I have this search running now, is this method going to show me the .hex files I'm looking for (.hex is not one of your selectable file types)? Also, I'm only looking for files on one partition so I'm not sure why you're having me scan the whole drive. I've looked at some of the results and I can see that it's finding files on my Mac partitions which I don't want it to waste time looking for because I can easily access those.

When the search completes will it show a file structure like my last search so I can easily find what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Graham, thank you very much for your advice! I was able to get all my files back and they weren't corrupted this time! Sorry for being so pessimistic that your steps would work.

It did however still show many many duplicates for each file. The duplicates also worked (not corrupt).

Thank you Graham!!

GDH

Default Data recovery

That's good news. I am glad that you have recovered your lost files.

It is hard to say what when wrong exactly with your drive, but it seems that somehow your file system was duplicated on your disk which is why it led to a number of copies of the file and folder structure.

We are working on methods for Recover My Files v5 where we can validate the results to make sure the files are valid, and also only show unique files.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

FL390 is offline Junior Member

Default What Can I Do If File Is Unreadable After File Recovery?

Graham -
    I followed your instructions in Post #2 above, and there are still several files that I cannot open. I either get the message "Preview not available for this file type" or the file is displayed as strange characters. What can I do to recover these files?

My situation is that my HDD showed "RAW" and I could not open any files. With this program, I can open some, but not most files. Thank you in advance for any help!
    - FL390

GDH

Default Data recovery

Hi,

Please click on the live support button at the top of the page to start a chat and ask for me.

Thank you.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread