+ Reply to Thread

Can I change options (add file types) in the middle of a search?

This is a discussion on Can I change options (add file types) in the middle of a search? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I did not add what I was looking for which was email file types before I started my search. I ...

willowave is offline Junior Member

Default Can I change options (add file types) in the middle of a search?

I did not add what I was looking for which was email file types before I started my search. I am in the middle of phase 2 when I added them. Will I still get them in the search or will I need to start over?

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

When you select a file type, what you are doing is asking Recover My Files to look for the specific header of that file type. For example, if you selected JPEG it is a sequential search down the drive looking for the header of a JPEG file (they all start exactly the same way) and when it finds one it will add it to the list of "Lost Files".

At the end of the search, the program uses the Lost File information to rebuild the file and folder structure.

When you add a file type half way through the search, you are starting the search for that header half way down the disk - so yes, you will have missed any in the first half of the disk.

But, if you have sucessfully recovered the file system at the end of the search, then it did not matter, because the old file system records will have included the entire file and folder structure and the files that you are looking for should be found (look under the Folder tab in the search results screen for the file and folder structure).

You can see a similar example to this in the video on RAW drive recover that is in the first sticky post of this forum. You will notice in that video that the search is run only up to the point where the file system is found (when running a "Recover Drive" search the "file system records" number goes up high). The search is stopped, and all files are found, even though less than a third of the drive was scanned.

I hope this makes sense.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread