+ Reply to Thread

Need some answers if possible on recovering a dead hard drive

This is a discussion on Need some answers if possible on recovering a dead hard drive within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160gbytes external hard drive ultra ata. My sister knocked it off my desk and ...

mm22005 is offline Junior Member

Default Need some answers if possible on recovering a dead hard drive

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160gbytes external hard drive ultra ata.
    My sister knocked it off my desk and then after that it made a clicking noise and I cannot access the drive for the files. I had a computer tech come out and take it out of the enclosure (plastic case) and he tried to get the files off of it but was not able to do so. He tried running it off another computer and it would not even recognize the drive it would not do anything but make the clicking noise he stated he did not have any recovery software with him to try to fix it. Well anyways I have called around and it can cost between 400 to 1k to try to get data off of it. The question I want to ask is there are a million programs out there that say they can get data off of dead hard drives. Does anyone know a good one? I mean before I spend 300 to 1k on sending it in the mail and seeing if some company can fix it, what is a good software that I can buy first and try? If it doesn't work then I will have no choice but to send it in. I have hundreds of pictures, pdf files and word documents I need to get off of the drive. Thank you for answering in advance.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

A hard drive which has fall off a desk and now makes a clicking noise is likely to be suffering from a physical malfunction - i.e. one of the hardware components inside the drive is broken.

A software solution is not going to solve this for you. In fact, depending on the problem, you could do more damage to the drive by trying to scan it with software.

You only course of action for a drive like this is to send it to a hardware recovery service.

Good luck.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread