+ Reply to Thread

Is it worth it?

This is a discussion on Is it worth it? within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; My external harddrive says i need to format it but i don't want to lose my files. I ran the ...

monalisa is offline Junior Member

Default Is it worth it?

My external harddrive says i need to format it but i don't want to lose my files. I ran the recovery and its showing the files i need. However i don't want to buy it incase it is a waste of money. I have read other reviews on here and seen some people can't open their files. I am worried this will happen if i buy it as i tried something else and i couldnt open the files. What difference would this do than the other software i used? the only difference i have seen so far is that i can actually see my files but the pictures and stuff dont show in the preview.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Dat a Recovery

Hi,

Do not format your drive as writing new data to the drive can make recovery more difficult.

When you run Recover My Files in evaluation mode, you should be able to click on documents and graphics and preview them in the search results screen. There is a short "Recover Drive" video on this page (with text below) which gives you instructions on the best way to run the search.

Sometimes external drives can power down or go into sleep mode during the search, to cause the problems you describe (if you do not get a preview, right click on the preview error message and select "view as hex". The hex view will show you if the file actually contains data - if it is all zeros, then the drive is not currently available). Please also take a look at the "best power settings" video on that page to ensure this does not happen to your drive.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

angeline is offline Junior Member

Admin is right do no format your drive. If you really like to, you can save and transfer your important files to other drive.

+ Reply to Thread