+ Reply to Thread

how to recover files to their original name

This is a discussion on how to recover files to their original name within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; Hi, so 3 days ago i accidently lost my whole data ( my drive D with 300 GBs of important ...

Sean is offline Junior Member

Default how to recover files to their original name

Hi, so 3 days ago i accidently lost my whole data ( my drive D with 300 GBs of important data ) and from that day i've been dealing with it . my problem is that i can recover the files but the file names are not as they "were" . i have near 70000 music files and without their original names its absolutely impossible for me to recognize the files and my files are really important to me , cuz i've been gathering them since 2006
    so if there's any way i'd be really glad to hear it
    Last edited by Sean; 06-20-2012 at 10:18 AM.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

How were the files lost?

From what type of device were they lost?

What type of files are they?

What are the file names now?

What software, and version number, did you use to recover the files?

Thank you
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    Hi,

How were the files lost?

From what type of device were they lost?

What type of files are they?

What are the file names now?

What software, and version number, did you use to recover the files?

Thank you
    i wanted to increase the partition size of my C drive, so i used a programe to do so but while it was runnig i noticed that its increasing more than i wanted to, so i did the stupidest thing and hit cancel, after booting up my D drive was in RAW mode and windows said i should format it but i didn't. they were from a 600Gb HDD with 300gb of important data , and there are bunch of different formats like Mp3, mov ,mkv,zip,rar,ipsw ,etc.

the file names are like lostfile_mp3_190448 , for example i have near 70000 music files and without their names u know... i have used 6 programes including Recover My Files' latest version but they all don't show me file names

thanks

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Hi,

If you have run a "Recover Drive" search on the Hard Disk in automated mode using the latest version of Recover My Files and it has only found "Lost Files" then you original file and folder names can no longer be recovered.

The file and folder names are stored in a table at the start of the disk known as the MFT (Master File Table - on NTFS formatted drives). When you use partitioning software, it moves this table around - so cancelling it during your aborted process means that the MFT is probably now toast.

Lost Files do not use the MFT, they are found by searching for the header and footer of a file type (e.g. a JPG starts and ends the same way). There are some renaming tools which can make more sense of these files such as Amok Exif sorter (for photos) or you can try products like 123renamer.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

hi again , so i was able to find some files with their original name , but when i save them they are all corrupted and i cant preview any of them but the first folder that u can see in the photo. my external hdd is not in sleep mode cuz even when i save the files to my current hard drive im still not able to open them + their with their original name and size

http://i45.tinypic.com/23htv60.jpg

GDH

Default data recovery

Hi,

Because you were playing with the partition table at the time of the crash, the MFT records that have been found no longer point to the correct data on the disk, thus they return as corrupt files.

In your situation if the files with their original names are not valid, the only data of use to you will be the "Lost Files".
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread