+ Reply to Thread

Recovered Files in Display View

This is a discussion on Recovered Files in Display View within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; If a recovered file, such as a jpg file, does not preview in the display pane, does that mean its ...

Skip1 is offline Junior Member

Default Recovered Files in Display View

If a recovered file, such as a jpg file, does not preview in the display pane, does that mean its really not recovered? All my picture files that I lost in a hard drive crash are shown in the file list. That seems good. I can only see a couple of them in the display view or in gallery view. I don't want to purchase RMF if it has really only recovered a couple of files.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

You should be able to preview your files in the search results screen. However, having said that, you may have a type of file that our preview component cannot render.

Switch to TEXT or HEX view. What do you see? A valid JPEG will have "EXIF" or "JFIF" near the header.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    You should be able to preview your files in the search results screen. However, having said that, you may have a type of file that our preview component cannot render.

Switch to TEXT or HEX view. What do you see? A valid JPEG will have "EXIF" or "JFIF" near the header.
    No "EXIF" or "JFIF" in those files. The Valid Extension column in the File view says "Invalid Data". Most of my jpg files are like that. Did I do something wrong during the recovery scan?

GDH

Default Data Recovery

A deleted file will become corrupt if it is overwritten by new data. If new data has been written to the drive since the deletion, the this is the most likely reason that the files are not valid.

If you let me know the details of how your files were lost, then I can provide you the best instructions on running a second search, just to make sure.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    A deleted file will become corrupt if it is overwritten by new data. If new data has been written to the drive since the deletion, the this is the most likely reason that the files are not valid.

If you let me know the details of how your files were lost, then I can provide you the best instructions on running a second search, just to make sure.
    I had a blue screen of death where I could get nothing to happen and finally determined the only way to get my computer running again was to reformat the C: drive. Last night, I changed the sleep, timeout, hibernate settings as explained in one of the other threads on this site. It's still scanning right now, so I'll see if I get some better results when I return home later today.

Default Scan complete

Quote Originally Posted by Skip1 View Post
    I had a blue screen of death where I could get nothing to happen and finally determined the only way to get my computer running again was to reformat the C: drive. Last night, I changed the sleep, timeout, hibernate settings as explained in one of the other threads on this site. It's still scanning right now, so I'll see if I get some better results when I return home later today.
    Latest scan was no better than earlier scans. About 80% of jpg files lost in the crash display Invalid Data. No preview available.

GDH

Default Data Recovery

Are the files that are corrupt ones which have their original names? If so, it means that the old File System information is screwed up.

You can run a new search, but this time first click on OPTIONS > ADVANCED and put a tick in the box for "Run a Lost Files Search Only" and "prompt for start block".

Now run a "Recover Drive" search on the "Hard Disk" and search for the specific file types, e.g. JPEG.

This search will find "Lost Files" - found by their unique header and footer. You should be able to preview these files in the search results screen. They will not have their original name, but sort by size to group the photos together and then there are programs that can help you auto rename them after they are saved.

You can start and stop this search and progress down the drive in segments. Note down the block number that the search is up to, then when prompted in the next search, use this as the new starting position. Use the "save session" button to save any valuable searches so that they can be quickly loaded in the future.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread