+ Reply to Thread

Many of the files I am recovering are damaged / corrupted

This is a discussion on Many of the files I am recovering are damaged / corrupted within the Computer Data Recovery forums, part of the category; I was using some software call freefilesync to try and create a mirror image of my hard drive onto an ...

olly is offline Junior Member

Default Many of the files I am recovering are damaged / corrupted

I was using some software call freefilesync to try and create a mirror image of my hard drive onto an external usb drive. I wanted to exclude a particular folder from being mirrored to the USB, so I clicked on ‘delete’ in the freefilesync software, and now the folder and files inside have completely disappeared from my computer hard drive.

I do not have a backup, the files have not been deleted to the recycle bin, and the folder that held all of the files was approx 2gb in total, containing:

- images (jpg files)
    - text files that I had written notes into (.txt files)
    - microsoft word documents
    - microsoft excel documents
    - pdf documents (.pdf files)
    I am hoping that I can save some time by just searching for these file types. Am I right in saying that, when .txt files are selected this makes the process much much longer?

I am having a hard time trying to recover the folder and files. Im not familiar with the various options available through the program, so I have run a few searches through recovermyfiles, and I am able to see most of the files. They are scattered around, not in any real logical order, but the main problem is, around 30% of the files are damaged. For example, a lot of the pdf documents, and jpeg images will not correctly open, and show file errors and the like.

I have been extra careful to not write to the hard drive, apart from one mistake - I recovered some data to an external usb hard drive, then deleted the data off the usb drive and it ended up in the laptop drive recycle bin, around 600mb of files. However, the laptop drive has around 100gb free space, so im hoping that this would not have overwritten any of the files I am trying to recover. I have made sure now that the option to not delete from usb to recycle bin is selected.

Could you assist in recovering the files without getting a lot of files with errors? This is extremely stressful as I had financial details relating to my ******** and receipts, ********* documents in the folder that has been deleted. I cant understand why the files are corrupted or damaged, since I have not overwritten anything.

Thankyou for your help, and im crossing my fingers in hope.
    Last edited by olly; 03-09-2013 at 09:54 AM.

GDH
    GDH is offline Administrator

Default Data Recovery

Unfortunately you are not the only one who can write to the drive. Windows itself continually changes the drive as part of its normal operation. It is likely that this is the reason why some of your files are now corrupt.

When you run a "Recover Files" search for "Deleted and Lost Files" there are two types of recovery in place.

The "Deleted" files come back from what can be still found in the old File System records.

The "Lost Files" come back in a search for files by their signature (i.e. the header and footer).

If you do not find your file intact either with the original names, or as lost files, then unfortunately they can no longer be recovered.
    Graham Henley
    GetData Support Staff
    www.getdata.com
    www.recovermyfiles.com

+ Reply to Thread